Another steel tank question (Genesis)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The LP95 is not "thin wall".

All steel scuba tanks are by definition “thin wall” from structural analysis criteria… by far. The primary wall stresses are pure tensile hoop stresses. Even the aluminum 80 with its approximate ½” wall thickness barely meets the criteria to be analyzed under the thin wall criteria, but it still basically behaves as a thin wall pressure vessel. I am at home and my pressure vessel books are at work so I don’t have the exact “thickness to diameter ratio” to meet thin wall pressure vessel criteria, but all the steel pressure vessel we are referring to are unquestionably thin wall.

Round-out procedures have been around for decades in the fabrication, forming, truing, and pre-testing for a number of thin wall pressure vessels. I never heard of it back when I was a kid in the early 70’s and I was operating a hydro test machine, but that was also before I got my engineering degrees and have since worked on a variety of pressure vessels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom