Another reason NOT to use the integrated air source/bc inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimbo,

Regardless of what others say, if you actually try it and not just talk about it, you realize that it is a better setup in ANY type of diving. Cave diving speaks for itself (although I'm not one of them). Your experiences with the hose being too short parallel mine exactly. I could'nt figure out why anyone would want to swim the surface, or anywhere else, with the regulator yanking their face in the other direction! Not to mention being that close to an out of air diver that may be freaking out.

With the long hose, you have the ability to keep them close, or put some distance between you-it's your call at that point. With the octo or (heaven forbid) the integrated contraption, you're stuck with them right in your face. And we won't even get into the potential for the integrated contraption to foul everything up.

You don't acutally put the 7 footer around your neck, like a noose! I comes up the left side of your chest and around the back of your neck into your mouth. After the first time or so, you don't even notice that it's there.

I don't want to spend your money, but for about 30 bucks or so, you should get a 7 footer and try it. If you've got someone in your area that has one, ask them to borrow it and go into the pool with them. It's no big deal to learn. I GUARANTEE that you will like it much better. What's the guarantee? I don't know, but I'm good on my promises!

Let me know what you think!!

I own a seven foot hose - which I use caving or on wreck penetrations. I don't use it in open water.
Rick

Rick,

I see you and others saying you don't use the 7ft hose in open water, but I still say why not? I mean, your answer does not address the problems I outlined created by the shorter hose.

Of course, if the short hose is long enough that you don't have the problems I and DD have had,ie; the second stage being jerked when looking quickly to the left, then you probably don't need the 7ft. But I think I might.

DD, I am still trying to picture that hose routing you described....not very good at visualizing spacial concepts...picture would be worth 1000 words. :)

Jimbo

Somewhere between the standard hose length ( about 30 inches) and 7 feet may be a better length for you. Hoses can be obtained in any length. Maybe a couple more inches is all you need.(?)

All the hoopla about "the long hose" comes down to this: you NEED it for cave diving, you don't NEED it for shallow open water diving, although it works there, of course. Just get a hose long enough for you to be comfortable.
Neil

When I first started diving I used the short hose. Then went into cave instruction and adopted the long hose. Now I use it all the time. That way I don't have to remember which rig I am using in any situation. Everything is 2nd nature. Maybe I just don't like to switch back and forth from one type of rig to the other.

Open water, no, you don't need it really, sure is more comfortable to me, don't have to fight the swivel on the 1st stage. 2nd stage just kinda floats there, no jaw fatigue either.

Just my .02

ID

Back
Top Bottom