Another reason NOT to use the integrated air source/bc inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Can't agree with you here. The post cited deals with a lack of familiarity, practice and training, not any defect in the equipment. The integrated regulator/power inflator is perfectly fine if one has trained to use it and practiced its use.
Rick

The guy wasn't familiar(or practiced) with his equiptment and it nearly cost him and his buddy! It's been my experience that little problems become big problems underwater. That's what a diver does during his safety stop, practice little things like buddy breathing. It makes the stop go faster plus problems like this guy had can be identified and corrected. Shame on this diver for blaming his equiptment simply because he forgot or didn't know how it worked.
:tree:Bob

I think that this is an excuse. It sounds like he forgot that his B.C. had more than one way to dump air. (If it doesn't, he might want to think about upgrading) I dive a combined inflator/octo. and i think its great. One less hose to deal with. I have also had to help a new diver with a very low on air ascent. I gave him my primary and used my AIR2 , managed to dump air from my drysuit , breath ,controll our ascent,and if i needed to dump air from my B.C. i still had two more dump valves to choose from.

The integrated arrangement *is* easier to use. Easier to learn to use, easier to find when you need it, more streamlined. Those who start their training with it learn it quickly and easily. The only difficulty is where someone has trained with an octopus and then just bought an Air Source or an Air 2 and not taken the time to unlearn old habits and get proficient with the new equipment.
Personally, I dive several different rigs, depending on the type of dive, so I have to be aware of which rig I'm using if things turn to worms. I train for it, I practice it. It's no problem.
Rick

I dive with multiple configs for different conditions. I dive with an airsouce (SP Air2) mainly in the pool with students to show them different equipment that is available but also in the carib where I don't want extra hoses hanging (more streamlined). I dive in the Lake that was presented on the Rodales thread, but I use a pony with an octo and no Air2 on the bc.

I believe that people need to be familiar with their configuration and comfortable diving it before going to the extremes as this thread cleary point out in the details. They were pushing the evelop: deco diving without extra air. That's a recipe for disaster.

I like my air2 and will continue to dive with it in certain conditions, but have taken it off my cold water rig. :)

If this diver had been used to an air integrated unit, but happened to be diving in this instance with an octo for whatever reason and forgot how his gear was rigged, would this thread be titled "Another reason not to use an octo?"

I agree with the others who have suggested that the air integrated inflator was not the problem in this case.

DD,

I read the posts on the link you provided. What I found most interesting is the subject of the 7ft primary regulator hose.

As a new diver, I don't understand why it's not standard equipment. While doing my OW dives this weekend, I noticed that evertime I looked to my left; I felt the mouthpiece tug, causing me to bit down a little harder or actually holding it in place with my hand. All weekend I kept wondering "why do they make this hose so short". Then I read this and found others had the same experience.

The only thing I am having trouble grasping is the idea of putting the hose around my neck. Uh, that doesn't sound like a great idea.

Someone feel free to educate me.

Jimbo

It's not standard because it's much too long. Only required in restrictive overhead environments where divers must swim single file.

Ralph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom