Another New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kafer

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone. I have been lurking for about a month now and finally decided to register. There has been a TON of valuable information here and I want to thank you all for it. :)

I am currently enrolled in a Padi OW course and my checks out dives are next weekend. Hopefully I will still be able to get some good dives in before the water gets to terribly cold.

To make a long story short this is the third time attempting an OW class. This time though I have an instructor and DM that are enthusiastic about diving as well as teaching and are willing to take their time to make sure everyone is on the same page. My last 2 attempts were with a private instructor (same instructor both times) that, although a nice guy, seemed to want to rush through everything at the speed of light in not so favorable conditions. But in his defense, he was going though some personal issues in his life.

After the 2 previous attempts I never thought about making a 3rd attempt until some friends lit the proverbial fire under my butt to try it one more time. The DM in my class is a personal friend and has helped immensely with the previous issues I had and now I’m about to be doing my check out dives next weekend.

After the previous attempts at an OW class I never thought I would come this far so to say the least I am very excited about exploring the underwater world!! :D

Good luck and I can't imagine why you would not be diving all 12 months in FL.

Where are you doing your dives?
We are going to be going to Crystal River for our check out dives. If all goes well my classmates and I will be going right in to the AOW class shortly after.

Good luck and I can't imagine why you would not be diving all 12 months in FL.
I'm hoping that Ill be able to dive year round but I would imagine the winter months will be quite a bit colder than the spring and summer months. Im still new and dont know how well Ill aclimate to colder waters. :)

Does Florida ever get cold? As in below say 65 degrees ( I know some of you polar bears dont think cold till 35 degrees)? How do you fail an OW class with a private instructor (no im not being an ***, im curious as to how you can fail as opposed to just doing it till you get it right)?

Good Luck :D

Congratulations on sticking with it, by going for the 'third time charm', and on finishing, and apparently having fun!
Kafer:
Hopefully I will still be able to get some good dives in before the water gets to terribly cold.
Good for you - you are already sounding like a FL diver. This is 'terribly cold' as in, maybe something in the low 70s, instead of the high 70s or 80s, right? My son and I did our OW checkouts in FL one December years ago. We drove down from NC (where it was already really cold at the time), went out in 3mm wetsuits and remarked to each other how really warm it was, while diving with some FL folks who were in 5mm, hoods and gloves, and complained about how unusually cold it was. :wink: All a matter of perspective, I guess.

Hi Kafer...

What part of Florida are you from? And yes I survive our "cold" winters in Florida...wear a lot more rubber though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom