Another lost to Gulf of Mexico oil rig spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

to me when you "haul ass fort the surface" doesn't sound anything like any deco was involved

He said he did some deco but couldn't finish. I do wonder what he means by meter. Dive had to have been short b/c of depths and size of tank. Deco stacks up fast at 235' tho.

Here is the report from the dive buddy.

When I got to 30-20’ I had barely anything left in my tank, me and David stayed on the corner leg of the rig, motioning hand signals, about Mike. Before I could completely finish my decompression, I was out of air, but my meter was in good shape as this was only the first dive of the day.

He said he did some deco but couldn't finish. I do wonder what he means by meter. Dive had to have been short b/c of depths and size of tank. Deco stacks up fast at 235' tho.

I think by meter he is talking about the guage on his dive computer that shows nitrogen absorbtion levels.

Does it make sense that he would inflate his BC to begin his ascent from 235'? Seems like that could result in a runaway ascent... Perhaps he was way overweighted and that was the only way? Perhaps his buddy was overweighted as well, which is why he ended up on the bottom? Is there something about how people dive when spear fishing that would be consistent with this? It seems like people would wear less lead since they are carrying a gun. I recognize that this is leading into speculation territory, but I think there is something to learned...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BCs inflate and deflate, all you do is let air out of your BC as you get shallower and more buoyant.

I doubt weights have anything to do with the accident. The person that died was essentially solo diving deep on an 80 ignoring every basic dive safety protocol in the book. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't. Pretty fortunate that it only ended up with one fatality. The guy who tells the story really put himself at risk for his friend, from going deep after him to cutting deco short, he could have buddy breathed off the 3rd guy, but he cut it short, being in a hurry to try to get to the surface to continue trying to find out what happened to his friend.

sad the kid died, they dive in a VERY risky manner, as long as they know and accept that and the potential for death and worse...so be it. For young guys with more balls than brains they may not understand the real risks and I hope they live long enough to learn them.

ROK isn't what I'd call young. ROK isn't what I'd call fit, although he's younger and fitter than I, he's no 22 YO SEAL. What ROK is, and I've met a few divers like him in my career, is impervious to nitrogen. He's one of those guys who dives far beyond limits where most of us would pretzel, and comes back to brag and have another beer.

Where I get bent if I look at a nitrogen bubble, he seems to get away with situations us mere mortals can't. I would never even try to dive with him, although with our history, he wouldn't dive with me, either. Like other notables in the diving world who shall not be named, someone tried to keep up with Luis, and they weren't physiologically able to.

You don't know your limits until you go find them.

He went too deep to try to get fish that were out of season. There is no telling what happened for sure but there is literally no bottom time at that depth. You can get into deco on descent to 160' if you don't go down fast. Scamps are usually 160ft and below on the rigs.

By "Meter" he means a really old decompression meter that utilizes (I think) a sort of tube insude that on gases then off gases in a way that is supposed to mimic how the body off gases. Like an old "SOS" or "Healthways" meter. It's not a real computer in the electronic sense. Generally keep it out of the red and your good to surface, in theory, that's what the old timer HD divers use as I understand.

My condolences to family and friends.

Sadly, this thread is educational . . .and amazing.

Sadly, this thread is educational . . .and amazing.

You should get to know some of the Helldivers.... :wink: You will learn things, and be even more amazed.

Perhaps I'll start off gently by reading the book. If that works out maybe ease myself into getting to know a Helldiver or two.

Back
Top Bottom