Another lost to Gulf of Mexico oil rig spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't catch this, but did the deceased have a dive computer on? Ideally one that 'logs the dive,' but even one that just gave max. depth could be useful.

Even if he had an analog SPG, wonder how deep the 'max depth' arrow can read on most of them?

Richard.

Does it make sense that he would inflate his BC to begin his ascent from 235'? Seems like that could result in a runaway ascent... Perhaps he was way overweighted and that was the only way? Perhaps his buddy was overweighted as well, which is why he ended up on the bottom? Is there something about how people dive when spear fishing that would be consistent with this? It seems like people would wear less lead since they are carrying a gun. I recognize that this is leading into speculation territory, but I think there is something to learned...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How much would u want to exert urself at a po2 of 1.7 and with very limited air left to do your deco?

You don't need to exert yourself to go up without inflating the BCD! Unless he was still negative at that point...

You don't need to exert yourself to go up without inflating the BCD! Unless he was still negative at that point...

If weighted correctly to be neutral at 15', one would expect anybody in a wetsuit to be negative at depth. At that depth most wetsuits will have lost virtually all their bouyancy. Alternately the diver in question could just be in good enough shape to be negative without weights. Many possible reasons to need to add air to BCD in order to achieve neutral bouyancy. And as previous poster pointed out - do you really want to do any work at that depth, PPO and tank pressure?

Many lessons can be learnt from this....May he rests in peace and may his friends and family find closure.

I am really sorry for your loss. Spearfishing just adds another task to a dive and somewhat eliminates the buddy system due to the inherent nature of the sport. It really is for the most part a solo dive in most cases.

If weighted correctly to be neutral at 15', one would expect anybody in a wetsuit to be negative at depth. At that depth most wetsuits will have lost virtually all their bouyancy. Alternately the diver in question could just be in good enough shape to be negative without weights. Many possible reasons to need to add air to BCD in order to achieve neutral bouyancy. And as previous poster pointed out - do you really want to do any work at that depth, PPO and tank pressure?

That's for a free diver and although I thought it was the case at first, reading the report we see they were on scuba. Therefore, he would have been neutral at that depth, with the necessary amount of air in the BCD and no extra air would be required to start an ascent, nor any effort. Unless, as I said, he was still negative from being in a descent, but from the report he had already stopped and was trying to find the other diver on the bottom.
I didn't say he didn't need air to become neutral, and also that's not what the report says, I said one should not need to inflate to go up.

One must understand the HellDiver's mentality to understand that this was just another dive for them.

Is helldiver some "type" of diver?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom