Another lodging question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing is, if being beachfront is not priority, there are condos that you can stay at that are just as good for the diving, at a much lower price point than directly on SMB, which is in high demand for the non-divers. If you take a rental car you can still get to all the usual places on West Bay Road, and end up saving money.

Thanks everybody who took the time to help us out. The input in this thread (as well as all the others I read) was very helpful.

Just a quick update...we booked a 2 bedroom condo at Compass Point this morning. With the kayaks, Crystal Caves nearby, pools, and of course diving & snorkeling I don't think we'll get bored over there.

We're taking the new non-stop flight from Denver to GCM. It gets in too late to connect to Little Cayman and only one hour ahead of the last flight to Brac. Then on the return you have to leave crazy early to make the connection back home. So I ruled the sister islands out because of that. I'm sure we'll hit those on a future trip.

I took a hard look at the condos like some recommended. In the end, I decided being at a dedicated dive resort where you just walk out to the boat & dive was worth the extra drive to get there. The onsite restaurant with included breakfast will help keep things simple as well. We can't wait!

If anybody else is there in mid-March give me a shout.

Thanks again for all the great input.

Have a great trip. We have stayed at Compass Point diving with Oceanfrontiers 3x. Great folks and dive op. Eagle Rays on site does a nice job with breakfast lunch and dinner. Tukkas nearby is excellent. There is a small Fosters market 10 min away for basics with a liquor store next door. If you are planning on preparing meals and want a better variety of groceries hit a Fosters near the airport or on the way out to CP.

Also if you get a chance go to Capt Herman’s Fish Fry and Czech Inn. The Lighhouse was mediocre the last couple times although we used to love it. The White House was awful on every level except the view. Frigate bird feeding at Tulkka is awesome.

Love the Czech Inn! Never been to White House or Lighthouse yet.
Always like 'Over the Edge' and Kaibo too.

I know others rave about the Lighthouse, but I just didn't see the charm, but maybe that's because I live in a city where American-Italian food is very common... when I head out that way, Tukka is my go-to for lunch.

Just a quick update...we booked a 2 bedroom condo at Compass Point this morning. With the kayaks, Crystal Caves nearby, pools, and of course diving & snorkeling I don't think we'll get bored over there.

Didn't respond earlier but glad you chose Compass Point. If I would have responded I would have suggested booking through Hotels.com (which worked for us) as we got a better deal than we could get through the rates posted on Compass Point's website (and that was taking into consideration car rental, diving, breakfasts, etc....) Ocean Frontier's service for diving is fantastic - they make it very easy for their guests. It is probably the best set up for picking up, caring for, and returning your gear of anyplace I've been.

On the East End, besides Crystal Caves, is the Botanical Garden (probably not the most fun for teens however.) A trip to Rum Point and an evening BBQ is fun. Starfish Beach is also near Rum Point and unless the starfish have migrated away, you can snorkel and find a lot of them.

We have parked along the north coast of the East End and found places to snorkel, but a great place is around the pier at Morritt's Tortuga Club which is about 8- 10 minutes down the road from Compass Point. We saw a reef shark (it must have gotten lost) swimming around the pier a few years back. There is a beach there also.

Restaurants to be sure to eat at that are nearby are Eagle Rays right there at Compass Point (they have a buffet night), Big Tree BBQ which is the big tree in the owner's front yard with picnic tables around it (just down the road), and Kurt's Korner which is on the road that cuts north and south through the East End and only about 5 minutes from Crystal Caves and the botanical garden.

Have fun!

Hey Todd C.

My wife and I will be at Compass Point March 2-9. We did about the same research you seem to have done. Just us this trip without our adult/just graduated college kids. We wanted a spot kind of like our experiences in Bonaire (Capt Dons) and maybe Ambergris(Belizean Shores). Never tried Caymans but friends keep telling us we need to. We are not really interested in SMB and Georgetown except for maybe an afternoon visit and definitely not when any cruise ships are in. I think CP will fit the bill especially having the rental car in with the package. Condo with Kitchen for lunch and occasional dinner was appealing too. Maybe we will see you in passing.

Todd F

Steve I. with OF is one of our fave DMs on island. Hopefully you get to dive with him. We dove with OF before he joined them and had a great experience with the other DMs, as well. Ironshore Gardens is one of my favorite dive sites in general, not just around GC.

FWIW, when we go to GC we do about an hour at the beach at Calico Jack's and that's it for the week. We otherwise just sit around the pool at the condo we rent or go to an oceanfront restaurant to play cards. Georgetown is too busy and commercial. I think you'll really enjoy Compass Point.

Hey Todd C.

My wife and I will be at Compass Point March 2-9. We did about the same research you seem to have done. Just us this trip without our adult/just graduated college kids. We wanted a spot kind of like our experiences in Bonaire (Capt Dons) and maybe Ambergris(Belizean Shores). Never tried Caymans but friends keep telling us we need to. We are not really interested in SMB and Georgetown except for maybe an afternoon visit and definitely not when any cruise ships are in. I think CP will fit the bill especially having the rental car in with the package. Condo with Kitchen for lunch and occasional dinner was appealing too. Maybe we will see you in passing.

Todd F
Yep, sounds like we did take a similar path to get here. We've also dove Belize & Bonaire but never Caymans. Looking forward to it.

You're leaving a week before we get there so I doubt we'll cross paths. Take care of the place for us & have fun!

-Other Todd

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom