Another lodging question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...(Full disclosure: I own rental property in Coconut Bay. I try to provide balanced information based on my and others experiences.)

@Alucard how do the dive packages work with Stingray Watersports when you are a resident at Coconut Bay Condos? I see that they advertise the availability of tanks 24/7 for residents, so does that mean unlimited shore diving on the house reef while you are boat diving with them? Or you can purchase various dive packages for shore diving, boat diving - or a mix of both - or do you simply make a la carte arrangements with them in advance for shore diving tanks and/or boat dives?

How do divers get to the boats? Do you board from the condo complex or do they transport you (or you drive yourself) to the dock to board the boats?

Just curious, we have shore dived with them (excellent!) but have never stayed at CBC and we are discussing GC shore diving on another forum, and I want to make sure that I have the correct information, thanks!

Just to chime in, we stayed at CBC twice doing most of our diving onsite. When staying at CBC we just arranged with Duncan at Stingray for what we needed. We also rented our unit through Duncan. We rented gear for two for a week and did the tanks ala carte. I think he gives a discount for those staying and renting through him (he manages a number of units there for rent). He had nitrox and different size tanks available if you just ask. As far as boat, I did only one and drove over to Morgan's Harbor where the boat was (at least that day). It was a small six pack type boat that got us out to the North sites relatively quickly. Again it was done ala carte. Their website is Stingray Watersports – Grand Cayman

@Alucard how do the dive packages work with Stingray Watersports when you are a resident at Coconut Bay Condos?
Frankly, I don't know - I've not been out with them. Duncan would have to give you that answer.

I see that they advertise the availability of tanks 24/7 for residents, so does that mean unlimited shore diving on the house reef while you are boat diving with them?
No. You pay for each tank, unless Duncan comes to some agreement with you. I don't see any such package on his website.

How do divers get to the boats? Do you board from the condo complex or do they transport you (or you drive yourself) to the dock to board the boats?
There is no dock at the complex. Most people staying there have a rental car so prefer to get to the dive boats themselves - I have seen them going out of West Bay Dock and Morgan's Harbour.

Just curious, we have shore dived with them (excellent!) but have never stayed at CBC and we are discussing GC shore diving on another forum, and I want to make sure that I have the correct information, thanks!
As I understand it, the dive ladder and the dive station are owned and maintained by the Coconut Bay STRATA (Condo association). Tanks and weights are provided by Stingray Watersports. If you are staying in the complex then you are under no obligation to use those tanks or weights - you can use whatever you want.

Frankly, I don't know - I've not been out with them. Duncan would have to give you that answer.

No. You pay for each tank, unless Duncan comes to some agreement with you. I don't see any such package on his website.

There is no dock at the complex. Most people staying there have a rental car so prefer to get to the dive boats themselves - I have seen them going out of West Bay Dock and Morgan's Harbour.

As I understand it, the dive ladder and the dive station are owned and maintained by the Coconut Bay STRATA (Condo association). Tanks and weights are provided by Stingray Watersports. If you are staying in the complex then you are under no obligation to use those tanks or weights - you can use whatever you want.

This is also my understanding through our ownership at CBC. We use the onsite tanks out of convenience at any location we shore dive. I've lugged tanks in Hawaii and cherish the convenience. We have been on a boat dive with Duncan/stingray. Once myself, and family has been out a handful of times with him (and other operators). No special package was arranged. He may offer package deals if approached about it, but that would be something to check with him.

Shore dive locations that have an on-site shop won't take too kindly to anyone bringing other people's tanks to dive at their location. Just sayin'

The situation at CBC seems to be different than for most other commercial shore dive ops on GC. Duncan has a few tanks and weights out and uses an honor system for payment. If no one at his condo, then just leave the cash in the mail slot. Duncan is very pleasant and very easy going.
I suspect that if you brought in an outside tank, no one would notice or care. ( But why would you bother? ) The tanks on site are primarily there as a convenience to the condo owner/renters and I doubt the condo association would be happy if volume of off site users were to increase dramatically.

The mini wall at CBC is further offshore than Lighthouse and Turtle Reef but is a very good dive and worth the swim. The walk from where the tanks and showers are to the ladder is short and the entry is an easy one. I generally prefer Turtle Reef as I really like Ollen and also enjoy having a beer right at the end of my dive day.

The situation at CBC seems to be different than for most other commercial shore dive ops on GC.
That's because it's not a commercial shore dive op :)

I suspect that if you brought in an outside tank, no one would notice or care. ( But why would you bother? )
Some people staying there have different deals with different tank providers, and they have their own weights.

The tanks on site are primarily there as a convenience to the condo owner/renters and I doubt the condo association would be happy if volume of off site users were to increase dramatically.
If they condone it at all.

Back
Top Bottom