Another life lost on the Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed you're probably right.

BTW, Hiya :)

Oh yeah, hello :D

So, I though agreeing with people on the forum is against the Scubaboard TOS! I was operating under the impression that arguing was the entire point of the internet! :D

not the kind of local diving report you want to hear. very unfortunate

Chris, sorry for your loss. A condolences thread has been started by a friend of Terry's on Passings: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/passings/245946-terry-dewolf.html

This article claims 15 over the years; I don't know how many: Searchers find diver's body near Andrea Doria site - The Boston Globe

My Inst wanted to dive it, but he's had a few accidents lately: a construction mishap that broke his leg leading to several surgeries, getting bent one time that he'll admit, and last week a high speed collision that should have killed all but all surived - him with a broken hand. I doubt that this is on his list anymore.

Last edited:
I am terribly sorry for your loss Chris. Our prayers go out to you and your family during this very dificult time.

If that is true, am I correct in thinking that this is the first death on the Doria for several years?

Wikipedia lists only one death since 2002 (SS Andrea Doria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I personally believe this to be true but welcome the information if somebody knows otherwise.

Damn. Condolences to the family and friends.

There have been recent deaths on the Doria. Check your references

X

If you know this for fact which you seem to, please share the information you have. This would be more helpful to others.

Oh yeah, hello :D

So, I though agreeing with people on the forum is against the Scubaboard TOS! I was operating under the impression that arguing was the entire point of the internet! :D

:doh: I keep forgetting that rule. Please don't report me :wink1:

Anyone find out anything else? Were they using tanks? Rebreathers?

Terry was wellknown over on the deco stop . As of 5am when I last looked details were still coming in. The boat was the John Jack. They were bringing him back in . It is sad but we won't know what really happened for awhile. If we ever really do. The Doria is a big boy dive and everyone who dives her knows in the back of their mind that they may not come back. Most times if something goes wrong you are on your own. I'm still hoping that there is still something left of her when I get to the point that I'm ready to dive her . There is no room for error on that dive. Not that any was made, sometimes these things happen and will continue to as long as some continue. To push the envelope.

If you know this for fact which you seem to, please share the information you have. This would be more helpful to others.

Who are you and your reasons? In this particular case I do not know the individual(s) involved. Again, there is a grieving family & friends here ; public information will be forthcoming from the authorities involved. If you have direct questions - ask privately. Again, my deepest condolences to the family in this moment of hardship.

X

If that is true, am I correct in thinking that this is the first death on the Doria for several years?

There have been recent deaths on the Doria. Check your references

Who are you and your reasons? In this particular case I do not know the individual(s) involved.

As stated in my PM to you, my previous post may not have been clear but you stated something for fact pertaining to a question (see the first quote above from Rhone Man) and I simply asked you to substantiate your statement. As I said in my original post, my prayers do go out to the family and friends of Terry. I am sorry for any misunderstanding to everybody that reads this thread however my "reasons" are only to learn from the accidents that happen which requires people to substantiate their "facts" OR state them as opinions.

A good question. I have not been to it, so I am interested to know, based on this report:Are the conditions at depth really that (almost zero vis) bad?

i certainly cant speak from experience, but my friends dad is a DM out on long island and has dove the Doria once before. from what i understand the conditions down there are extremely variable and can change at a moments notice. you may have 10 ft vis one minute and be in a complete blackout the next. not exactly what you want at 240ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom