ANOTHER Keys question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

razor

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody can recommend Key Largo or Key West. We are looking for a family oriented dive vacation. 1/2 want fly into Key West and the other 1/2 want to fly into Lauderdale and drive to Key Largo.

Any opinions on which place would have better diving and/or have a family type environment.

Thanks

I planned my trip a week ago to KW. Since the air tickets we high to fly in I bookedmy tickets to FLL. I'll be driving to Marathon form there. I can update u once I come back in April how it was in Marathon.

razor:
I was wondering if anybody can recommend Key Largo or Key West. We are looking for a family oriented dive vacation. 1/2 want fly into Key West and the other 1/2 want to fly into Lauderdale and drive to Key Largo.

Any opinions on which place would have better diving and/or have a family type environment.

Thanks

Things to think about:

You MUST have a car in the Keys... nothing is walkable except Key West, and that gets old (IMO).

I'm pretty sure you'd be driving up from Key West to Key Largo to do some of your diving, so you're going to do quite a bit of commuting either way.

The drive to and from FLL can be a real problem - this can't be overstated - so don't try to do it during rush hours. Listen to the traffic (AM 610), avoid weekend traffic - especially driving BACK on Sunday afternoon! That's just wrong lol

Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the best diving is mid-Keys. I could spend days on Molassas Reef, and you should see the Spiegal Grove. This is just my very humble opinion based on two dives from the south and I welcome corrections!

Key Largo will get old if you're not diving a lot... there's not much to do but dive, boat and drink.

Last suggestion is to spend a day with us on the beach at Lauderdale by the Sea or in Hollywood if it would make your drive more convenient. Hollywood is less "family" IMO. We're not the Keys here in Broward County, but it's inexpensive and you can do nice dives and fly within a few hours (17' max). Let us know if you need pointers about where to stay or how to make sure we get a dive together for when you're here.

razor:

I've never heard anything good about Key West diving. I go to The Keys once or twice a year, but I book to FLL or MIA, then drive in. I stop in Florida City for a nature break, then mentally prepare myself for the narrow road ahead. Going again this Thursday.

Really, anywhere in the Keys except Key West! You can drive down for a day of it, and stay for the sundown party, but don't stay there. Seven mile bridge is a hoot! :wink:

Have fun, dive safely, and wear your seat belts! don

Key Largo is my favorite. Key West is ok... but the reefs just aren't as pretty as Largo... not nearly as colorful or as much life. Key West is also very touristy. While Largo may not have as much to do (no Duvall street or anything) it offers great diving, and some decent hotels that have small beaches and pools. What else do you need to do? You could always stay in Largo and drive to Key West int he evening or something.

razor:

Thanks

My vote goes for Key Largo. I try to go two or three times per year, and I never get sick of it. You got to hit the Grove. It's awsome. So many things to see on it, and it will be several years before I've seen it all.

I love taking my kids on Molasses reef. It's shallow and very colorful. I've taken some great natural light photos there.

So far, I've used Atlantic Dive Center (Capt Slate), Ocean Divers, and Conch Republic. They're all good, but Conch Republic ( a little further south) is probably the most laid back.

Al

Looe Key off of Big Pine is a popular favorite for many Keys divers. The Adolphus Busch is a great wreck dive not too far off from there.

Ahhhh.... I love the keys. But, here's a hint: Key West is for partying and drinking, and Key Largo (or the middle keys) is for diving. Dont go to Key West for the diving. Key Largo will be better suited for that. Be prepared for some driving...
I stayed on Little Torch key (which is next to Big Pine) a few years back, and we dove Looe Key alot. It was nice, dove the Adolphus Busch alot. I am planning on going to Largo for my next trip...

I dove both last fall... The diving in Largo is MUCH better than in Key West but I got lucky and had 2 outstanding dive operators while I was down there (I won't mention Ocean Diver's except to stay away from them unless you like cattle boats).

Visibility was much better in Largo

In Largo I used:
Paradise Charters
http://paradisecharters.net

Looks like they got a new boat... I hope they're not running cattle boats now too

Key West:
Dive Key West (Awesome crew!)

Both sent a divemaster (or should I say "guide") in the water with you... No need to navigate, let them do all the work! Not all dive ops will send the DM in the water.

2 of the best night dives I've ever done were on that trip, one in each location.

don't forget to consider the Dry Tortugas, off Key West. they have awesome
diving, but you have to pay a dedicated charter to take you out there.

i've heard the Tortugas are the best diving in Florida because they are so far
out of the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom