ANOTHER Keys question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from Marathon, dove with Abyss dive center in Marathon and stayed at the Holiday Inn.Abyss will book your room for you. Abyss is the best I have dove with they take 6 divers at a time and the dive sites are great. Dive the Thunder bolt great dive. If you stay in Marathon you are 45 min from Key West. :wink: :bounce:

If you don't mind some driving, you could stay in Marathon & you'd be about smack in the middle of Key Largo & Key West. I've had fantastic diving off Marathon (We used Capt. Banny, but I've heard nothing but good things about Abyss by others; both are small boats who take great care of you), and you could buzz down 30 miles to Jim Wyatt (reef-divers.com), who we dove with a couple weeks ago & had nothing but great experiences. You'd also have the option of heading up to dive off of Key Largo.

The one thing I think many will agree with is that the diving off Key West isn't so hot. The diving off Looe Key with Jim, though, was excellent, with large coralheads in excellent shape & diverse fish populations.

Jim

After you have done the math...which for my crew always includes lodging, and groceries, I guide your attention to Big Pine Key. It is 21 miles from Key West, and easy distance to Key Largo. Looe Key Marine Sanctuary is the local dive.

Several establishments offer facilities that include cooking. You will also find suites & private apts. The cost is a fraction of what you would pay in Islamorada, or Key West. And a refrigerator & stove will work wonders for your budget. :wink:

For diving I would recommend Reef Divers. Capt jim wyatt is a member of the Board.

Moodiejeff:
Key West:
Dive Key West (Awesome crew!)

Both sent a divemaster (or should I say "guide") in the water with you... No need to navigate, let them do all the work! Not all dive ops will send the DM in the water.

Dive Key West indeed enjoys a fine reputation amongst Keys Dive operators as does Sub-Tropic and Key West Diving Society..all in Key West.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom