Another hi-speed ferry hits 'whale' in Kyushu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim:
This seems to be happening a lot recently. This one injured 49 people - some quite seriously.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4893370.stm
this really sucks, i am so sorry for the persons involved, and i hope that they fair well!!! and i also hope that the animal that they struck will be o k , i hate to see/hear of another georgous creature being hurt or killed!!!

There is some talk in Kyushu (where I live) of suspending the hi-speed ferries at certain times of the year - especially the Fukuoka (Japan) - Pusan (Korea) one. Something to do with the whale migrations. I believe it's on this route they've had the most incidents. It's the first one I've heard about in the Kagoshima area. Maybe there are simply more whales about these days - or their migatory patterns are changing. It's odd though as a few years ago I'd never heard of it.

Kim:
There is some talk in Kyushu (where I live) of suspending the hi-speed ferries at certain times of the year - especially the Fukuoka (Japan) - Pusan (Korea) one. Something to do with the whale migrations. I believe it's on this route they've had the most incidents. It's the first one I've heard about in the Kagoshima area. Maybe there are simply more whales about these days - or their migatory patterns are changing. It's odd though as a few years ago I'd never heard of it.
kim, this all really sucks for the persons that were injuered, and as well i have great concern for both the people and the animals , as we all know the population of the whales is really getting scarce, and for the people i hope they and thier families will all be ok!!!! i hope that they do change the itinarey so that all (whales and people) will fair well!!!!

Hi Kim,

I saw from media NEW about the tragedy, but didn't mention the "whales"?

Jason

jim ernst:
i hope that they do change the itinarey so that all (whales and people) will fair well!!!!
Well - there is talk about it. The problem of course is that as Japan is all islands, hi-speed ferries are rather important in a lot of places. Limiting ferry services would have a very far-reaching effect on a lot of peoples lives. Of course.....so do accidents.

Jason Ooi:
Hi Kim,

I saw from media NEW about the tragedy, but didn't mention the "whales"?

Jason
yes....Reuters and the BBC (and others) are talking about "probably" a whale or other large marine animal. A whale would seem to be the most likely although they aren't completely sure as far as I can tell.

Thank!:D
Kim:
yes....Reuters and the BBC (and others) are talking about "probably" a whale or other large marine animal. A whale would seem to be the most likely although they aren't completely sure as far as I can tell.

another article from Apr. 1 on the growing # of whale accidents on the Fukuoka/Busan ferry route. Guess those jpy100mil anti-whale noise devices aren't working... Also, appears that local fisherman are also finding an unusually large amt of whales caught in their nets...

http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200604010276.html

Any news about the Whales situation?

Back
Top Bottom