Another FredT/harness question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding the set-up of a harness using a FredT BP/STA.....

Most "how to" guides suggest that you melt a hole in the webbing where it passes through the back top of the plate. Do most folks who have this setup and a 2 piece STA pass the bolt used to connect the top half of the STA to the BP & wing through the webbing as well?

Thanks.

-LD

I have the melted hole in my webbing. Otherwise the webbing would cover up the hole where the bolt goes.

Originally posted by large_diver
Do most folks who have this setup and a 2 piece STA pass the bolt used to connect the top half of the STA to the BP & wing through the webbing as well?
LD... I don't know what most folks do... I don't have or use a FredT STA so I can't speak to that... however speak I must for I am Uncle Pug the verbose...

Center your webbing across the top of the plate through the slots and when you have equal tails off to both sides burn a hole through your webbing by passing a red hot nail through the hole in the back plate and into the webbing.

LD... be sure to use Visegrips to hold the nail as you heat it with a propane torch and while doing the burning.

Now mount your STA wherever you want...

And when you go to mount doubles you will already have the hole in the webbing because that is where the bolt on the bands is gonna go.

Originally posted by Lloyd
A soldering iron also works well for melting the hole.
Lloyd
Well yes it does Lloyd.... but have you tried soldering with it afterwards :D

Actually since I am always putzing around with this stuff I have a dedicated hot knife tip for my butane soldering pencil to burn and cut nylon webbing and the like.

Shoot... I lost the soldering tip a long time ago so I guess the whole unit is dedicated to dive gear surgery...

"Nurse... hand me the cauterizing whoobie-doobie."

Back
Top Bottom