Another First For the Old Gal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CindyMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Yesterday was my first dive since Bonaire in November (no dry suit yet, but it's coming) and my very first dive with my son! My husband, son and I did our first dive all together! It was such a neat experience with my son. He's not been able to dive since his honeymoon 7 years ago, but it was as if he'd been diving all 7 of those years...incredible!

Unfortunately, my husband's first dive was his only dive of the day. Didn't go so well for him. We left our weight pockets at home (bad me). Someone loaned me a weight belt and Mike used someone else's. I had put my belt on prior to putting on my BP/W, so it was underneath the crotch strap. My husband did not do this. Both belts came loose. He had problems trying to dive and keep the weight on. I could feel mine slipping. When we surfaced, he was in distress. Got him to where he could stand and he recovered. He decided no more for the day. My buoyancy was off - I was way overweighted, but still managed to have 1/2 tank at the end of the dive. As we were walking back to change tanks, my belt kept slipping. Felt like I had droopy drawers! Got my husband distracted and laughing. Looked like the teenagers with their pants on the ground and holding on to the front. Son, well, he was just awesome ... just gets neutral naturally!

Second dive was late in the afternoon with my son and another experienced diver. We had a blast! I really went down on my weight (from 20lbs to 14lbs) and did much better. For my weight, I just don't see how that's possible, but whatever. Just a nice, relaxing calm dive. Son is an excellent dive buddy!

Can't wait for the next dive!

Good for you! Weight belts can feel like droopy drawers, but fairly easily hiked-up, at least for me. Sorry your husband didn't like it, but glad you "worked the problem" and had a nice day. So welcome back.

Good for you for going back even after some adversity on the 1st dive. Little mistakes like that is how we learn our best learned lessons. I don't care how busy or hurried I am, before I leave for a dive I spread all my gear out on the dive room floor and pack it one item at a time. I hitch up my weight belt and other straps snug at depth, its still tight when I get to the surface! Form good habits and focus, and you can enjoy the next dive and every dive!

Both belts came loose. He had problems trying to dive and keep the weight on. I could feel mine slipping. When we surfaced, he was in distress. ......As we were walking back to change tanks, my belt kept slipping. Felt like I had droopy drawers! Got my husband distracted and laughing. Looked like the teenagers with their pants on the ground and holding on to the front. Son, well, he was just awesome ... just gets neutral naturally!

I always have had that problem -- until I began using this:

MAKO Freedive Weight Belt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom