Another fin recommendation request - a bit more specific

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squiddy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been diving on the same pair of Aqualung Caravelles since I got certified - they're good basic fins and I'm used to them so I've never had a reason to look at anything else. But I recently came into some grant money that can pay for a new pair of fins, so I'm pretty keen on trying out other kinds and would appreciate some recommendations. I mostly do open-water dives for research and for leisure. Some of that involves carrying/dragging heavy or bulky things, sometimes in a fair bit of current.

I've been thinking about jetfins for a while based on multiple recommendations, but I have a few concerns:
- I have very small feet (womens 6) so I'm not sure if any of the jetfin-style fins would fit me.
- I do some pretty decent surface swims (I have a research site that's just under a half mile swim from shore) and I've heard that the jets aren't the best for that. Though I could just pull out my caravelles for that.

I've never tried split fins but the family that runs the local dive store seems to be a big fan of them...I'm going to see if I can try out one of their rentals the next time I get in the water.

I'd love comments specifically on sizing/surface swimming with the jets. Also helpful would be recommendations on fins similar to the caravelles but perhaps a bit better at fine control. I'm looking at a maximum price range of about $120-130.

Thanks!

IMHO the Jet fins are the best fin on the market. You get more efficiency out of your kicks because it is a stiffer fin. I have found that the divers who complain about them are the ones that haven't given them a true chance. Once you put the time in (there can be a conditioning period) and use them, you will never go back to another fin.

As far as size, you will probably be a Medium but first I have a couple of questions.
1. Are you diving dry or wet?
If wet, thick hard sole or soft boot?
If Dry, what kind of boot (insulated boot or soft turbo sole)?

Wet, and I just replaced my old soft-soled boots with a pair of hard-soled ones.

Also, how do the scubapro jet fins compare with the other similar-styled fins?

The Jets are heavy, so you have to decide if you need that weight to trim out properly, or if they're going to drag your feet down. If you need a lighter stiff fin in a smaller size, the Dive Rite EXP fins might be a good alternative.

While you are there ask if you can try a set of HOTSHOT fins. I think you will be pleased.

They are the fins in the travel light series similar to the Slingshot fins. Stiff when you want them to be, and easy to kick when you don't. The regular size will fit size 6 womans with a 5mm bootie if you use that sort of thing.

Your LDS may reccomend splits because they genuinely love them...or they may recommend them because they tend to have a high mark-up. Some people love splits, I don't, and I ESPECIALLY didn't love them on surface swims and/or fighting a current on the surface. So my advice would be to stay away from splits, but that is ultimately just my opinion.

The Cavelles you have are a typical not-too-stiff/not-too-floppy fin that likely performs similarly to the many similar fins out there (mares quattros, tusa tri-ex, oceanic viper etc). My point being that there wouldn't really be any point to "upgrading" to any fins of that sort. The way I see it you should either go for a stiffer fin such as F1's, Jets, turtles, slipstreams etc. (I'm sure you'll have sizing issues with at least some of those though), or maybe go with the Aqualung Slingshots that will allow you to choose the stiffness. I like the whole KISS philosophy so I would probably steer clear of the slingshots; but any of the aforementioned fins should be an improvement over the Cavelles when it comes to fighting currents and pushing heavy loads. As for the half-mile surface swim...that's gonna suck no matter what fin you have :wink:.

There is no best fin IMO. Depends on the kind of diving you do, your budget, what you expect out of a fin and its weighting characteristics. I own Atomic Smoke splits and Hotshot fins personally (Along with jets, bat fins, Novas and a few others). I use my Hotshot fins when I travel as they are short and light. I use my Atomics in most other conditions, but I don't do technical diving and I am rarely in a hurry to get anywhere so really don't need a stiff fin. If frog kicks were a regular part of my kicking, I would probably get a fin a bit more adept doing those kicks cause IMO neither the Atomic nor Hotshot are very good.

Jets and their cousins are usually a safe fin to recommend since they do most things well. A person can usually find lighter versions if weight is a problem. I personally don't think they travel well though.

Mares Quattro and Aqualung slingshot , I think you won't regret any of those two .
PS: Quattros are the most recognized dive fins for years ,very powerful and reliable , Slingshots are more modern and they depend on balde pivoting technology that provides the best angle at each kick.

As a dive guide, I use Apollo Bio pro black with s/s springs. I'm an old guy with old legs.....
They are heavy & expensive but IMPO they are the best.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom