Another choose my first reg thread - Deep6 or XTX50?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point Doby, I also feel like the 7' hose is overkill for recreational open water diving (but required for GUE Fundies...I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin...).

I'll post up a more comprehensive trip report later tonight or tomorrow but, I got 6 dives on the new Deep6 setup over the weekend. Summary from someone who knows very little about which they are talking: They're great! Love 'em!

I do think the ball joint swivel I ordered for the connection between the second stage and 40" hose will be an improvement.

With the hose exiting the side port of the 1st stage and running straight into the second stage, I found that it was much more comfortable to have the hose bowing out to the side above my arm - that's not the most streamlined. With the ball joint, I *think* the comfort of routing it under my arm, possibly from the bottom port on the first stage will improve.

Last edited:
First, why are you getting a 7' hose? Are you doing wreck penetration or cave diving? Other than those two events it is more of a pain in the ass than it is worth. The streamlined OW package (40" hose on a 90* elbow at the second stage) has gotten that name for a reason, it is VERY streamlined! As always you can dive whatever you want and people will have opinions but reinventing the wheel every time someone gets a car is an exercise in futility.

How is it a pain in the ass? Cheers.

Maybe some people still dont understand what I mean by plugging it into the "bottom port?"

...Sorry...

Last edited:
I understand fine. I have regs with 5th ports (bottom port) and use it with long hose. I also know what a side port is. My question was in response to a previous poster who said a 7' hose was a pain, I was curious as to why they felt that way. I regularly use 7', 5' and 40" and have never found any of them to be a pain. I've tried every configuration possible with all hose lengths in various ports and various swivels of varying degrees. Did I miss something? Cheers.

Last edited:

It is a pain in the ass dealing with something more than you have to when you don't need to. If you are fine with it, that is fine. But the whole hose behind the neck and extra length is something I only want to deal with when I have to use that tool.

Maybe some people still dont understand what I mean by plugging it into the "bottom port?"

...Sorry...

When I run my streamlined 40" setup the hose comes from the bottom port on my Hog D1 and it is very comfy and streamlined. I am a stickler for having everything in its place and nice and tight, carry over from my job..

It is a pain in the ass dealing with something more than you have to when you don't need to. If you are fine with it, that is fine. But the whole hose behind the neck and extra length is something I only want to deal with when I have to use that tool.

Totally agree, although I don't find it a pain I do find it unnecessary for the diving I do. More recently I find myself using a 40" routed under arm with a 70 degree adaptor most often. I haven't noticed much difference using side or bottom port to be honest, certainly not comfort wise but it is a "little" more streamlined coming out of the 5th port. I do find the added flexibility of nylon braided hoses helps with comfort, seems not as much push/pull. Cheers.

Oh man...Let me try this again:

...Sorry...(for the inappropriate humor)

In other news: My DIN-YOKE adapter, ball joint swivel and 7' hose came in today! Just attached the ball joint swivel (I'm sure that's not the right term but the receipt just says "swivel") between the hose and second stage. I think this is a sweet setup. I'm going to leave it on the side port for now...I dont think it'll be a pain in the ... bottom... at all! :)

As for the 7' hose - well, I'm going to dive this setup first and see what I think. Have a feeling I'm really going to like it.

Also made a couple changes to my harness this weekend with good results. Excited that my rig is really getting dialed in!

OK, time for one more stupid question (even for me): The DIN-Yoke adapter didn't come with the rubber cone that seals it off when not connected to a tank (for, say, between fills on a multi-dive charter). I assume the easiest thing to do is just go get one of those rubber cone things and keep it on the adapter rather than taking the adapter on and off every time to use the DIN cap?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom