Another Buddy Dive question regarding DIN tank valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I understand about inserts and salt water, but just because awap hasn't seen any Buddy Dive tanks in fresh water, I don't see how he therefore concludes that the inserts (if they exist) are all frozen in.

The rinse tanks at the drive through facility would probably hold 10 tanks each for soaking those threads but the only thing I have ever seen in them was guests dive gear. Where do you think they are doing the service that would be required?

Their tank service is done at the drive through, in the building just west of the tank-storage area. there are hoses there with fresh water.

By the way, I really don't know if they have PRO valves or not, nor if they keep them clean, nor why this seems to have turned into a p'ing contest.

Last edited:
By the way, Buddy Dive does have a tech facility and provides AL80 doubles and AL80 sidemount bottles and stages with DIN valves, also pony bottles and AL40 deco bottles. All with DIN. How many they have I don't know.

I suppose awap is going to jump in and say he hasn't seen them, so they don't exist. :)

I suppose awap is going to jump in and say he hasn't seen them, so they don't exist. :)

Do you remember the movie Harry And The Henderson? There was line in the movie which went, "I have never seen a baby pigeon, but, I am pretty sure they exist."

Harry & Henderson.jpg

I imagine you can find tanks with DIN valves but it won't be nearly as convenient as using the yoke converter. The BD bulk tank swap stations are all yoke.

OK, I am beginning to feel bad suggesting they might not be able to fill your din needs. So bad that I have decided to go down there next week and check. I'll let you know.

They do have some as they have a tech program but they were not in general circulation. All my regs are DIN and I just used an adapter in order to have the convenience of the bulk tank swap. Unless you're diving doubles (especially sidemount), I wouldn't bother.

A $50 +/- ScubaPro MK-10 off e-xxy makes the whole thing moot.....

Even bif they had some, would you expect the insert to still be removable?
Depends on how many DIN divers they get. Can't speak for Buddy Dive but I have seen people diving DIN on Bonaire, and with the large number of European (particularly Dutch and German) tourists they get, it's not surprising.

Not your dive OP but I dove DIN tanks w/ Dive friends last week and they did have some convertible valve tanks. The big issue was galling of the threads even on the tanks that were primarily DIN tanks. On more than one occasion we had issues w/ tank sealing and getting the first stages back off after a dive. With that said, I just got some Hog D1 Yolk conversions as I don't do any tech diving. It's much easier to deal w/ especially in Bonaire when you're doing your own thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom