Another BC kit thread: TROPICAL EDITION

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's pretty interesting. Does that change anything regarding self service or just generally how long it can go between servicing?

There are some feature differences, I believe they are listed on DGX's website on the regulator page. As far as self servicing, DGX sells service kits directly on their website, shouldn't be a problem for you to get them. The service interval is a little more frequent yes.

Thanks for the reply @kelemvor! It's crazy to me that a $200 thing can be a "disposable" but now that I'm starting to focus on regs I've noticed that sentiment a few times.
That's only becasue most brands refuse to sell parts kits to end users. Therefore you've got to pay a technician to service it, which will cost almost as much as replacing the reg. If you could get ahold of the parts kit, that $200 reg could last you 40 years. That's where the value in Deep6 and Hog and Poseidon come from... well they're also better regulators than the $200 one. Those manufacturers are willing to sell parts kits to end users.

Although scubapro doesn't sell parts kits to end users, if you can get ahold of an older model you can get parts from vintagedoublehose.com (they sell stuff for single hoses too). In that case you can have an inexpensive regulator (only because it's old) and still get the parts to service it yourself.

Personally, I'd try and get the deep6 if you can. Obviously that's way outside the budget you laid out.

Don't forget to look for used stuff!

The only way in my opinion you will be able to get two BC’s and two full reg sets for under $1000 (anything decent) would be to buy them used.
Older scubapro or perhaps Conshelfs would be thr esy I’d go. Parts are available through VDH for both. With the BC’s, get anything that works if the price is right. After you wear it out in about ten years buy another used one.
Diving can be done cheap with good used gear if you do your homework.

Since you are DMing, you might also see if they can set you up with 40" yellow hoses/faces for the "octos" if you will be demoing "standard" drills.

@-JD- that DGX/Deep6 is definitely interesting! Is it common for online stores to have re-branded kits like that? How did this wind up cheaper than from the manufacturer? Great idea on getting the octopus from my shop!

@NeuroAndReCEcoDiver Actually, I was suggesting that you might ask DGX to provide a yellow 40" hose and maybe a yellow purge cover if available. If you are DMing and need to demonstrate skills your shop may require you to dive with a "standard" reg configuration.

The picture from DGX shows all the components for using "tec" style with the longer hose primary for under arm routing and the shorter backup routed over the shoulder and held in a bungee necklace - that is a primary donate configuration and also may confuse standard lost reg recovery demo.

You could dive it standard style as is with the short hose as your primary and the long hose second routed under arm and held in an octo holder. The 90 swivel is also helpful when donated as it puts less torque on the reg when given to the OOA diver.

Since the seconds are identical you could then dive it either way with no performance hit. Setting the long hose up with a yellow hose and (if available) a purge cover would "mark" it as the donate reg. DGX has 40" yellows so I imagine a no (or very low)-cost swap.

If you could get ahold of the parts kit, that $200 reg could last you 40 years. That's where the value in Deep6 and Hog and Poseidon come from
That swing is super tempting, I am not loving the apparent $100+/year /reg commitment to keep regs working safely. I think at this point I am going to wait and see how confident we feel servicing after learning more from our DM instructor. If we think we can do it correctly I'll probably follow @-JD-'s suggestion (if a used deal on a Deep6, hog or poseidon doesn't pop up).

Still planning to get BCs end of this year though. Definitely going to watch for used Jackets, and wings. Any reason used plates should be on my radar? They and the straps already seem very inexpensive.

That swing is super tempting, I am not loving the apparent $100+/year /reg commitment to keep regs working safely. I think at this point I am going to wait and see how confident we feel servicing after learning more from our DM instructor. If we think we can do it correctly I'll probably follow @-JD-'s suggestion (if a used deal on a Deep6, hog or poseidon doesn't pop up).

Still planning to get BCs end of this year though. Definitely going to watch for used Jackets, and wings. Any reason used plates should be on my radar? They and the straps already seem very inexpensive.

If you can find a used plate then jump on it. It's just a piece of metal with some holes so it's not like you have to worry about it not working correctly. For whatever reason, I don't think I've ever seen a used plate for sale. I guess people just hang onto them. I know I've got 4 plates in my dive closet now. (aluminum, steel, plastic, and a steel "freedom contour").

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom