Another BC kit thread: TROPICAL EDITION

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeuroAndReCEcoDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone, longtime lurker but just began my DMT so now's the time to get serious :cool:

Quick background, I have been diving on vacations for a long time. Beginning of 2017 I gave my wife the bug and she was so smitten we've racked up 50 dives together since. We are now living in Natal, Brazil, and are doing our DMT together on weekends. *Water is very warm here, *our shop is full of tek divers so all tanks are EAN32-50, *all our experience has been single tanks but our shop has and dives doubles, *we have strong currents, *and almost all sites are pretty far from land. We have our own masks, fins, and DCs.

I've been combing the threads/internet trying to learn about BCs and regs as those are the next items on our list, and not something that can be purchased here. Our budget is very, very tight ideally <$1k for 2 BCs and 2 reg sets.

I am DIY inclined and have been persuaded by the arguments for BP/W... my wife less swayed. Basically, I am thinking for me an aluminum or SS skeleton BP, and a basic 20-27# wing, like DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package . She wants a basic Jacket style BCD.

Regs I am really stumped by. I love the idea of Deep6 or HOG being self-serviceable, (especially since a chunk of our DMT is learning how to service) but they just seem way out of our budget.

Question time:
1) Are blackfriday sales (US stores) still a thing, and if so what should I realistically expect in terms of discounts?

2) Any recommendations on Jacket style BCDs, possibly as a kit with regs?

3) When diving a BP/W with only a rash guard, how important are the cushions? eg: HOG Backplate Back Pad

4) Are there other BP/W kits I should expect to be heavily discounted come blackfriday?

5) Am I naively forgetting anything?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for the help!!!

1) yes, hog and deep 6 still had them last year. can expect to save probably 100 on a 1st and 2nd stage for regulator. not much discount on bpw.

2) zeagle makes pretty good traditional bcds

3) I don't use one.

4) No

5) If you are a DM with no money, why not just use the shop gear? With that tight of a budget, you should also consider used gear.

Thanks runsongas!

Definitely considering used, just trying to know what I should have my eyes open for as classifieds look like they get bought quickly. We are using shop gear now, just don't think it will be a permanent option.

When you say I can expect to save $100 on a 1st and 2nd, is that $100 off per item or for a package?

You can find cheap regulators out there. For example, scuba.com sells Sherwood magnum (first and second with hose) for $218. I've no idea how good that regulator is. If you get one that isn't self service then you'll have to find someplace to service it for you. At $218 though, I'd probably consider just throwing it away and replacing it instead of servicing it. I bought a scubapro s600/mk25 from that store and had a fine experience.

I read recently in another thread that Poseidon also "allows" owner self service. If that's true, you can often find Poseidon jetstreams used for very cheap. Poseidon is very expensive to buy new, though.

1) Are blackfriday sales (US stores) still a thing, and if so what should I realistically expect in terms of discounts? From what I've seen, scuba discounts on black Friday are somewhat limited. I've seen offers for 10% discounts, but many stores will give that in person any day of the year if they decide to. There's a few online stores that make solid attempts at black Friday sales though.

3) When diving a BP/W with only a rash guard, how important are the cushions? eg: HOG Backplate Back Pad Not important at all. You won't feel the plate on your back, I've dove my bp/w many times in just shorts. I did it for a week this June when I went to Cozumel. I'm a big fan of shoulder pads - especially if you're doing anything where you have to walk with your bcd on (shore dive, for example).

4) Are there other BP/W kits I should expect to be heavily discounted come blackfriday?
I dunno who's going to have what on sale for black friday, but consider "building your own" bp/w. That's what I did, I think I spent around $300 on my bp/w. I got an apeks aluminum plate on sale at a local shop. I got a diverite deluxe harness (came with all the necessary hardware such as d-rings and buckle), and a diverite wing at another local shop. I'm pretty sure you can get cheaper wings, but the diverite has a replaceable bladder and I really wanted that feature.
Example: Backplate $75 Backplate Hardware | Dive Gear Express®
Wing: $199 DGX Gears Single Tank Wing
Harness: $44 Dive Rite Harnesses for Backplates
total: $318 or $339 if you get a deluxe harness

Regs I am really stumped by. I love the idea of Deep6 or HOG being self-serviceable, (especially since a chunk of our DMT is learning how to service) but they just seem way out of our budget.

I thought we have been pretty reasonable :wink: Seriously though, we do try hard to offer an exceptional reg at a great price. I of course would prefer if you buy from us, but there are a lot of great options out there.

I dunno who's going to have what on sale for black friday, but consider "building your own" bp/w. That's what I did, I think I spent around $300 on my bp/w. I got an apeks aluminum plate on sale at a local shop. I got a diverite deluxe harness (came with all the necessary hardware such as d-rings and buckle), and a diverite wing at another local shop. I'm pretty sure you can get cheaper wings, but the diverite has a replaceable bladder and I really wanted that feature.
Example: Backplate $75 Backplate Hardware | Dive Gear Express®
Wing: $199 DGX Gears Single Tank Wing
Harness: $44 Dive Rite Harnesses for Backplates
total: $318 or $339 if you get a deluxe harness

If you are not in too much of a hurry, @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose should be getting BP/W packages back in stock. They should come out near what @kelemvor quoted from DGX/DiveRite. See for more info: Special on BP/Wing combos. #18 #23 or #35 lift. & Store | Vintage Double Hose

If you want to go a little less expensive on regs, DGX has a full, environmentally sealed, OW reg package for $399. DGX Custom - Deep Six DGX Streamlined OW Reg Package
pk-741003_1.jpg

They are supplied by by Deep 6 as a sort of house brand for DGX.
The 1st stage looks VERY MUCH like the HOG D1 regs. You should check with DGX to see about DIY service/service kit sourcing/D1 Kit compatibility. I'd also be curios to see if the 2nds are service-kit compatible with the HOG Classic 2nds. (As I understand it, the principal of Deep 6 sold his interest in HOG and formed Deep 6. Also they are maybe/probably using the same OEM manufacturer for at least some of their parts.)

If it is a D1/Classic equivalent , that is really a killer deal ...

Since you are DMing, you might also see if they can set you up with 40" yellow hoses/faces for the "octos" if you will be demoing "standard" drills.

Thanks for the reply @kelemvor! It's crazy to me that a $200 thing can be a "disposable" but now that I'm starting to focus on regs I've noticed that sentiment a few times. Speaking of, @LandonL you guys definitely seem to, I just started this search with this as my expectation https://www.amazon.com/SOPRAS-PACKA...+kit&qid=1536746671&sr=8-112&ref=mp_s_a_1_112 XD

@-JD- that DGX/Deep6 is definitely interesting! Is it common for online stores to have re-branded kits like that? How did this wind up cheaper than from the manufacturer? Great idea on getting the octopus from my shop!

As for putting together a BP/W, any nooby mistakes to watch out for? Or is it really as simple as plate+wing+harness+tank band?

that DGX/Deep6 is definitely interesting! Is it common for online stores to have re-branded kits like that? How did this wind up cheaper than from the manufacturer?

Yes, a few of the online stores have value or house-brand regulators they offer directly, we produce the one for DGX. The price difference is because it isn't the same regulator as our Signature series, we actually don't sell that model directly ourselves, it is more of a DGX product. But it is a good value regulator if you are in the market, especially when you compare it to similar designs.

Back
Top Bottom