Another backplate/wing setup question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OneBrightGator:
Please explain what exactly you mean by "distorted", all wings get distorted when air is added to them.

There is no such thing as a doubles donut wing, so I can't argue for that, I can argue that a horseshoe singles wing is an inferior design because I dove one before I got my donut wing.

Ben
When I get back to FL, I'll send you a pic of my wing inflated. There is no distortion. The full donuts distort at the bottom because the tank interferes with the bladder, making it crease. Maybe yours doesn't, but the one I borrowed did. There is a reason there aren't full donut doubles wings. If the air is free to flow around the other side when you tilt, your buoancy shifts to that location in the wing. A donut allows air to flow both directions. Keeping your center of buoancy in one place makes for a more stable dive. An example is dynamic vs. static stability in drysuits in relation to air movement. Neither the air shift in the bc or drysuit is that big of a deal anyway, if they are used properly and not overinflated. I dive both dry and wet, both rec and tech, and don't have a problem with air getting trapped. It's not an issue. Air travels to the highest point. The dump is almost dead center on the back of the shoulders. This is the highest point on the wing in both the vertical and horizontal positions. If the wing in vertical, the air flows to the dump. If the wing is horizontal, the air flows to the dump. The only place air could get trapped, doesn't exist on the horseshoe. On doubles, you have two tanks with a gap between them resting against you. If the wing continued through this space, then an air pocket would form between the tanks. From the horiz position, this air would be trapped. Hence the horseshoe. No air between the tanks and your body. On a singles wing, this isn't so much an issue, since there is only one tank. Air can only be on one side or the other, unless your using a short tank that doesn't clear the bottom of the wing. There is no possibility of trapped air, so why distort the bag inflation by continuing the bladder under the tank? When filled the tank is not pressed out at the bottom. Have someone don your gear and fully inflate the wing. Watch the bottom of the tank move outward slightly. Do the same with the horseshoe. It doesn't move at all.

In the end, it doesn't make that much of difference. I don't think the horseshoe or the donut is inferior when it comes down to design. The reason for choosing one over the other was in the choice of materials, the cost, and the abundance of dealers. There are only 5 H dealers in FL. There are over 12 O dealers in Miami/Lauderdale/Keys alone. I can get service anywhere I dive. This isn't about slamming anyone. It is about choice of manufacturing quality and what they charge for it.

Guys,

Gator, I'm sure your bright. I'm sorry for the cheap shot. I was tired last night.

Boogie,

Let's agree to disagree. Besides, we don't all want to be wearing the same thing on the boat. That would just be gaay.

To everyone else. Try both. Buy what works best for you.

Now, let's all get wet and stop living in this virtual world so much.

Eric

You know what's funny guys? Mempilot just sent me a PM accusing me of showing up and being derogatory. I pointed out that I had 5 posts before he showed up, and that the thread was dead until he came along and started accusing us of armchair engineers.

So far, he hasn't responded.

And by the way, Mem - maybe in that 'one wing you borrowed,' you had an issue with the cylinder trapping air. Both my buddies Halcyon Pioneer and my Oxycheq single tank wings don't have that issue. The air flows quite neatly around the bottom of the tank, thanks to the Single Tank Adaptor.

But hey - I'm just an armchair engineer.

Jeeze dude,

I'm trying to make ammends and you keep coming. So your add-on component makes up for the lack of engineering. I don't need a STA on my bp for my wing. It was designed right to begin with.

I didn't respond to your PM, because I responded to it above with an peace offering.

Are you finished?

Mem - your claim of 'peace offering" is anything but. Apparently, a Halcyon Pioneer must be designed "even more right to begin with" then, huh? It doesn't require a separate STA...

You started this one dude. And after cussing me and whoever else out via PM, you're trying to end it.

Whatever. I'm done. Have fun with your OMS.

Uh, Ok.

Read Post 51, then you come on the attack again. I just responded.

I will have fun. You too. Thanks.

jonnythan:
You may want to reread the post I quoted from EZ. If you still don't get it, read it again :wink:

I love my eclipse:)

No more arguing kids ... don't make me stop this thread or I'll come back there and whap you both with a backplate ... :D

... Bob (your friendly neighborhood moderator)

Boogie711:
Apparently, a Halcyon Pioneer must be designed "even more right to begin with" then, huh? It doesn't require a separate STA...
The STA was taken out to save money not make it better, i think the fact that the eclipse has one again proves the point that it didnt work for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom