Another backplate/wing setup question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, note that the comparison on the OMS site uses the exact same fabric, but one with a significantly thicker urethane coating, so it's not OMS' fabric doing the puncture resistance. It's the coating on the fabric - you can clearly see that a paper clip goes through 1000 denier CORDURA nylon quite easily, whether it's red or black. This is as it should be - it would be almost impossible to weave a yarn that thick tightly enough for it to resist a paper clip.

mempilot:
BTW, why would you have so much air in you bladder down deep anyway? A couple of squirts at most should be all you need.
WTF? Have you ever dived a 7mm wetsuit below 100'? You lose a sh!tload of buoyancy.

OK, right from their sight.

OMS ® uses 1000 denier Cordura backed with 8.0 oz of Urethane for superior abrasion and puncture resistance on all BC’s. Most competitors cheapen their BC’s; by using little or no urethane backing. This leaves their product vulernable to punctures and abrasion.

1000 ballistic denier Cordura is a DuPont trademark fabric.

Go to their (DuPont's) website and look at their comparisons to 1680 which DuPont does not manufacture. 1680 is still imitation ballistic. It is produced over seas to look and feel like Cordura, but is much cheaper and is not truly ballistic.

This is just going round and round.

Scubaroo:
WTF? Have you ever dived a 7mm wetsuit below 100'? You lose a sh!tload of buoyancy.
Yes, and I've never had to fill my wing. If someone is diving a single bladder bc with only 30# of lift with a 7mm wetsuit below 100' and they have to fill the wing - then you are totally screwed if it punctures. That is the whole reason for this fabric conversation.

Mem - do yourself a favour and get out and dive.

Then if you REALLY want to do yourself a favour, go do a blind comparison study of single tank wings.

With respect - you're shakier on this issue than a good ultrasonic cleaner.

Boogie711:
Mem - do yourself a favour and get out and dive.

Then if you REALLY want to do yourself a favour, go do a blind comparison study of single tank wings.

With respect - you're shakier on this issue than a good ultrasonic cleaner.
Boogie,

I'll guarrentee I dive more than you. I logged 97 dives in the last 12 months alone, 62 of which were deeper than 130'. Knowing where you live, I doubt you even come close to 50 a year. BTW, what is your certification level? Seems, some on this board think your all talk. Knowledgeable about regs, but what kind of dive experience do you actually have?

I did do a comparison of single tank wings. I borrowed a Halcyon from a friend at Brownie's Southport Divers in Ft. Lauderdale. I can't tell the difference underwater between the Halcyon and the OMS. They dive the same. I bought the one that gave the best quality and value.

I own Halcyon equipment. I prefer their lift bags. You see, I make a decision based on each products merrits and not by the name on the label.

If you think I'm lying, or making up something about the materials, why don't you go to DuPont's website and read. You seem to type very well, but I doubt you do much reading based on your emmotional responses to people's gear choices.

If you would like to question whether I dive a lot, you're openly invited to come down and dive with us anytime.

Katz,
Great score on the backplates. S&W kicks butt on package deals. Dive Rite makes a nice weight pouch that has a quick dump feature. I'm not familiar on either of the harness options I just rig with continious 2" webbing, works fine. Have fun.

Mempilot... you're taking this awfully personal. That would be further evidenced by the cuss-word laden PM that I just received from you.

My dive history and experience has been quite open. I've been certified just under a year, now. I live in the cold and frigid Ontario, Canada. You're right, I don't have 97 dives - I have 91. We're lucky to get 30 feet of visibility, and the average temperature I dive in is in the 40's or 50's. I had to take November through April off due to ice. So what's your excuse?

Look - I'm not looking to get into a pissing match with you here. I believe OMS makes an inferior product, and I'm not alone here. You're getting REALLY defensive about this. Chill out dude.

Boogie711:
Mempilot... you're taking this awfully personal. That would be further evidenced by the cuss-word laden PM that I just received from you.

My dive history and experience has been quite open. I've been certified just under a year, now. I live in the cold and frigid Ontario, Canada. You're right, I don't have 97 dives - I have 91. We're lucky to get 30 feet of visibility, and the average temperature I dive in is in the 40's or 50's. I had to take November through April off due to ice. So what's your excuse?

Look - I'm not looking to get into a pissing match with you here. I believe OMS makes an inferior product, and I'm not alone here. You're getting REALLY defensive about this. Chill out dude.
Saying I don't give a sh!t is offensive and cuss laden? Whatever. I have a lot more than 97 dives. That's 97 in the last 12 months. I don't have an excuse. I fly. I dive. Both quite frequently.

mempilot:
You crack me up not so bright gator. If OMS used 1680, you call it a flaw in design. All doubles wings are horseshoe in design. There is no flaw there other than the one you perceive or have read from other armchair engineers. Your single full donut gets distorted at the bottom when air is introduced into the bladder. You may think the air flows better, but it is neglible. BTW, why would you have so much air in you bladder down deep anyway? A couple of squirts at most should be all you need. The horseshoe argument on single wings is no different than arguing for a horseshoe wing on doubles.
Those who know me know exactly how Bright I really am, but I digress.

So we're all armchair engineers? Are you assisting OMS (or any other brand) with their R&D? If not, I suppose we're all AE's, including you.

Please explain what exactly you mean by "distorted", all wings get distorted when air is added to them.

There is no such thing as a doubles donut wing, so I can't argue for that, I can argue that a horseshoe singles wing is an inferior design because I dove one before I got my donut wing.

Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom