Anonymous Posters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasean once bubbled...

I'm not sure how anonymity automatically correlates with deceit....

Happy diving!

Sean
Its not automatic, however if people don't have any fear of posting (ie.. people dont know your name or what you look like) then you are more apt to post something you would not say to someones face.
For those who dont post photos, names or anything else a city or region would be nice. If the photo scares you then why dont you post one of you in full gear, no one will be able to see you face behind the mask and at least we would get an ideal of your gear configuration.

I think including at least a country and state or province is really helpful. Diving here in (mostly) cold water with limited vis is much different than diving in warm tropical areas. Many techniques are the same or similar, some aren't. Diving in 7 mil of neoprene, 14 on the core, hood, heavy gloves, affects the type of equipment you might buy, such as a camera or light as you have to be able to operate the controls etc. So posting "What should I buy?" or "What's the best?" for any piece of kit, without including location is a waste of bandwidth.

scubasean once bubbled...

I'm not sure how anonymity automatically correlates with deceit....

Happy diving!

Sean

Sean,

It doesn't. I should have made the "and" bold.

Like this:

I guess you get out of the board what you put into the board. I feel sorry for those that need to hide behind the anonymity of the internet and choose the path of deceit.

I agree with the majority here. Case in point... I am new to the board and was browsing thru some threads about dive reports from Mexico (Coz). Came across one in which the member - jpuskar - was at the same hotel during the same time my wife and I were there...pullled up his profile and wouldn't you know it, we met while we were doing our test dives.

When things like that happen, it just gives this board that much more of a warm and fuzzy feeling !! :D

I love to look at profile pics! And would post one of myself on land if I wasn't genuinely worried about getting weirdo PMs . . . I think I deserve some credit for my pic :)

Now that I'm back in Ireland I'll have to change it to one of me in murky green water surrounded by kelp.

daylight once bubbled...

Your points are well taken in a general sense. However, when folks are trying to provide answers to some request for info, having some rudimentary info is helpful. Why waste good diver's valuable time trying to figure out whether you are a cold or warm water diver. If we know what region you're located in we may even be able to point you to a specific person or business as a resource.

You're making the assumption that everyone dives locally. My last half dozen dives or so were at least semi-local. They were in a 50 deg F. PA quarry or 50 deg F. off VA Beach and probably what you would expect from someone in MD. If my buddy's girlfriend posted her profile would also say MD and you would expect she was also doing a fair amount of cool/cold water diving, when in reality she is more of a vacation diver. I wouldn't rely too much on someone's profile, but then again I'm one of the new semi-anonymous people you're talking about!

Drew A. Dunn

annie once bubbled...
I love to look at profile pics! And would post one of myself on land if I wasn't genuinely worried about getting weirdo PMs . . . I think I deserve some credit for my pic :)

Now that I'm back in Ireland I'll have to change it to one of me in murky green water surrounded by kelp.

And a lovely picture it is :wink:

Mine looks like the creature from the black lagoon! LOL

Not knowing any better, when I signed up I used my real name. Then I posted a question which I guess I worded poorly because many people assumed something I did not intend, and flamed me to ashes! It was my first (or 2nd?) post and I had people attacking me personally, insulting me, etc. And here was my real name and the city I live in!!
Ah, what a friendly welcome to to the scuba board...
Just for the record, my real name is Pat Pulson (for the over 40 croud).

canuckdiver once bubbled...

And a lovely picture it is :wink:

Mine looks like the creature from the black lagoon! LOL

You are the creature fromt he black lagoon!!!!!!:D :D

Butch103 once bubbled...

You are the creature fromt he black lagoon!!!!!!:D :D

Yeah, Yeah, this coming from the guy that I have pictures of in MOOSE HORNS!! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom