Anonymous Posters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok, this thread made me feel guilty, I had to replace the photo of my bike on my profile with one of me, sorry the bike is much easier on the eye.

Is there anyway the profile forms can be changed to include more dive relevant data ? Such as Cert level, years diving, types of diving, kind of a logbook/experience summary.

Personally, I never know what to put in my profile and I reckon from the info in my profile it would take someone who wanted to about 5 mins to locate and identify me. But I don't mind people contacting me etc.

On the other hand some people don't want to put themselves 'out there' and shouldn't need to, the only stuff that needs to be known is the stuff that makes the board work better. By that I mean assessing what level of advice they need when they ask a question or how seriously to take their advice when the answer one of yours. The same goes for what kind of diving/equipment etc

As for photos, for all you know the photo in my profile could be from a another website.

Conor

OK, didn't really want to post my picture because I'm sure I would get no respect. But here goes.

scubaroyster once bubbled...
OK, didn't really want to post my picture because I'm sure I would get no respect. But here goes.
Yup, that PADI emblem on your shirt really does you in... :)

Roak

scubaroyster once bubbled...
OK, didn't really want to post my picture because I'm sure I would get no respect.
be that as it may... the best place for your picture is in your profile so folks don't have to come searching for this thread to take a look.

Here all this time I though you were a shark!

I have three thoughts on this topic:

1) I try to always question everything I read, whether the author has authority and experience or not. By question I don't mean "assume it is wrong", but rather "think it through." The value of a statement can be completely unrelated to the credentials of the author.

2) Wow, I did not expect people to get so upset about internet-anonymity. I have mixed feeling about this, but I guess I can add a few things to my profile to appease the board ...

3) How would you feel about letting truly anonymous (non registered) people post? I suspect it would lessen the use of temporary screen names and fake personalities. Just a thought ...

-Klaus

Some of us want a little anonymity, especially at first. It doesn't mean that we are anti-social, but there are a lot of less-desirable people out there. I don't think that it is such a bad idea to stay somewhat anonymous, as a practice in protection. I realize that scubaboard is not going to be a hang out for the type of people you may need to protect yourself from, but it's not a bad idea to be safe. A lot of people who work in law enforcement are very protective of themselves (and thier families) and hesitant to share too much personal info at first.
If someone on the board were to ask me for personal info, I would gladly share it with them any time...I'm actually a very nice person, but a safe person as well...
:guitar:

Sharkman - I feel the same as you about this. I will gladly give people info if they ask for it but I like a little safety and that means being a little bit anonymous for a while.

An example of this is another board that I post at I have been there for a while and gotten to know most of the people there, either through meeting them or just through e-mailing privately etc. Some people you click with, some you don't. The point is there is a group of us on this board who know anything they want about each other but only because we all started of anonymous for a while and gradually got to know each other. But we don't post it publicly because there are some people on the board we don't click with or have had problems with and we don't give them the ammunition to cause any probs for us.

Equally I don't expect people to post info they are not comfortable with in a public domain but if I really wanted to ask something I think that is what PM's are for.

klausbh once bubbled...
I have three thoughts on this topic:

3) How would you feel about letting truly anonymous (non registered) people post? I suspect it would lessen the use of temporary screen names and fake personalities. Just a thought ...

-Klaus

That's not my experience.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom