Anonymous Posters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Lori once bubbled...
I see the need for "some" anonimity.
I'll make sure not to let it slip that you like chocolate chip cookies. Especially chocolate-mint ones... :)

Roak

Anonimity works in many ways. Privacy and protection from potential demented weirdos is one way, and on the Internet it's understandable. Bot for most part many people are inhibited. Once they stick their neck out from hiding behind the monitor they would not be so willing to share their lack of knowledge on a subject, they would be hasitant to ask, or offer an opinion. On the other hand once revealed who they are they would not be able to play the heros. So it works both ways. However, in my opinion, in a serious forum as this one, put your money where your mouth is. If you give an opinion, say who you are, otherwise your opinion regardless if it's positive or negative, or whatever it is, its not credible.

Sounds a bit harsh, and fairly negative, but well taken...

If you don't want to take a persons opinion, it isn't required. Merely because you don't know someone doesn't mean they don't know something about a subject...

I have found generally that the validity of something posted can be judged a bit by how many things I know about that are correlated with other things the poster says....

You may not be able to judge by one post, but you can certainly judge a bit after 10 or 20 posts...and, I would hope that anything important would be checked and rechecked, regardless of the single source posting here....

Again, I say...if you want more info, just ask em...

You never know, you may meet someone on the board. I know I have, Gearhead (Rick) is just one of 6 people I have met face to face with.

I couldn't imagine living behind a veil of deceit and not being able to make the friends that I have because I was afraid of being exposed as a fraud

I guess you get out of the board what you put into the board. I feel sorry for those that need to hide behind the anonymity of the internet and choose the path of deceit.

I'd love to put my photo on here but as a hunky 57 year old man I'm afraid I might get stalked by bikini models.:D

Sorry guys,

I have had bad experiences with revealing information on the internet so that is why I don't do it any more.

Abusive and insulting e-mails and IM's are not my idea of a fun time on the internet. I come here to learn from people's experience's and to maybe help with some of my own.
More than happy to tell people more about myself through PM's or private e-mails if they have questions but I wouldn't just barrel in and announce to everyone everything about myself. It isn't that I don't trust people who post, experience tells me these are the ones to trust, but there are too many lurkers and trolls who are just waiting for an opportunity to cause trouble and I for one am not giving it to them again.

Obviously I've chosen to use my real name. At least partly because I have a dive shop. I have dived with some of you, talked to many on the phone. I have also done business with a few of you. Lately I have started to wonder of the whole thing is such a good idea though. Still, I like to know who I'm talking to. At the same time I think there is sclearly some risk in puting you're opinions and your identity on the net in front of the whole world.

is suggesting that anyone provide any personal information that they are uncomfortable giving.

However, knowing in general where someone is from is nice. If people are uncomfortable giving the city or town just a state, region or country is nice too.

Also, none of this is required and if you are uncomfortable in providing it don't. This site is suppose to be about fun and education in order to have fun we all must be comfortable.

Chad

Pez de Diablo once bubbled...

I guess you get out of the board what you put into the board. I feel sorry for those that need to hide behind the anonymity of the internet and choose the path of deceit.

I'm not sure how anonymity automatically correlates with deceit....

Happy diving!

Sean

Back
Top Bottom