Suggestion Anonymous Forum for Accidents/Incidents ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
ianr33

ianr33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A fairly common thread on Scubaboard is where somebody posts about a near miss they had. The first few replies congratulate them on surviving a scary experience.The next replies point put that what happened was inevitable due to lack of training/gear/general idiocy. Original poster feels insulted and hits back.Thread rapidly goes downhill.

While this is as much fun as watching a trainwreck it is not very constructive.

So. How about allowing the anonymous reporting of accidents/incidents? this is done at Cavediver.net http://www.cavediver.net/irap/irap_frm.htm and seems to me to be a good way of admitting to screwups/genuine bad luck without it getting personal.

People would be more likely to post if they had the option of doing so anonymously which should result in a better distribution of information,which is all that matters at the end of the day.

Sort of like a witness protection program. Darn, I really hope we don't have to stoop to something like that. But I don't have any better ideas and do agree that we need something that keeps the useful information flowing but eliminated the harsh overtones which will discourage postings.

Its already being done on the Instructors Panel in the Basic Scuba Diving Forum. Heres the sticky:

"""""Instructor's Panel? Now what's this all about?
Hey all,

Do you have a question that you really want to ask, but are afraid of what the "others" might think?"""""

I think this is a great idea....

Put up a sticky on which mods you can pm or email the story to... they will sanitize and identify causal factors and then it's open to discussion

Hey I like this. Often times newbs get so insulted they never return. Now that said, Doc will always post something anonymous if asked, just a though if this is denied.

partridge:
Its already being done on the Instructors Panel in the Basic Scuba Diving Forum. Heres the sticky:

"""""Instructor's Panel? Now what's this all about?
Hey all,

Do you have a question that you really want to ask, but are afraid of what the "others" might think?"""""

Ummm, what he said :11doh:

We'll take this into consideration.

Missdirected:
Hey I like this. Often times newbs get so insulted they never return. Now that said, Doc will always post something anonymous if asked, just a though if this is denied.

Most of the time these stories are related by a new member. Aren't they already pretty anonymous? The only info in their public profile is what they choose to put there.

The only problem I have with channeling anonymous posts through mods is usually the OP leaves out or isn't clear about lots of relevant details, leaving people guessing "who was their assigned buddy, did you have a computer, etc.". Will the mods relay these and get the updated answers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom