Annual Inspection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDA

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So I've just bought four tanks and placed them all in for inspection. Three pass, the fourth comes back labelled as 'saftety valve leaks'. I then call my local dive shop, who sounds as confused as I do, but suspects this to be a burst disc.
Is this one of the same thing?

Incidentally, I'm going to have to repair myself, so any help would also be appreciated.If it helps, the tank is a Dacor.

what kind of inspection did you take the tanks in for, visual or hydro?? also, why didn't you just take the tanks to your lds to begin with? if there was a problem with the valve, they usually have the parts and experience to correct the problem for you...
if you attempt to do it yourself, good luck....remember, you're the one diving with it and if the repair is not done correctly, is it worth the couple of dollars you saved?

divermike86:
what kind of inspection did you take the tanks in for, visual or hydro?? also, why didn't you just take the tanks to your lds to begin with? if there was a problem with the valve, they usually have the parts and experience to correct the problem for you...
if you attempt to do it yourself, good luck....remember, you're the one diving with it and if the repair is not done correctly, is it worth the couple of dollars you saved?

Was just a visual test.
Also re: 'just taking the tanks into the store for repair'...well, that would be great, but I live in Bermuda. One of the few hydro /visual test locations are actually conducted by a soda factory! (all authorised and above board though).
The dive store (again, only one of two on the island) stated they don't repair (only sales). If it really is all that risky, I'll probably just junk the tank.
Not out to save dollars!

it's not risky, you just have to do it right...if it's the burst disk that is in fact leaking, i've found that if you simply tighten it up a bit that will stop the leak...easiest way to isolate the leak is put a reg on the tank, turn it on and submerge in water.....if it's coming from the handle, let me know....i can walk yo uthrough how to fix that also...
if tightening the burst disk up doesn't fix it, just replace the disk...
also, is your burst disk slotted, the type that takes a flathead screwdriver, or is it like a bolt?

divermike86:
it's not risky, you just have to do it right...if it's the burst disk that is in fact leaking, i've found that if you simply tighten it up a bit that will stop the leak...easiest way to isolate the leak is put a reg on the tank, turn it on and submerge in water.....if it's coming from the handle, let me know....i can walk yo uthrough how to fix that also...
if tightening the burst disk up doesn't fix it, just replace the disk...
also, is your burst disk slotted, the type that takes a flathead screwdriver, or is it like a bolt?

The burst disc is the bolt type. I think that I'm a little out of my depth on repairing it, so I think it's just going to sit where it is for a little while.
Just wanted to finally thank you for your patience. There's still the remaining three tanks to dive with after all!

i'd try just tightening the burst disk a bit and see if that does the fix....if it's a small leak, you'll just loose a little air during the dive....i have six or seven tanks myself that leak a bit from the valve...just remember to watch your air...

At worst have the sales only dive shop sell you a valve for about $40. and spin that into the tank.

Pete

Burst disc almost never 'just get loose' and leak around the threads...if it is leaking at the burst disc....then replace it....you don't want that puppy going bad while under water on a dive! They are cheap and easy to fix!!

I had a burst disk get loose and leak. It was so loose that you could turn it by hand.

It was fine for a long time so maybe somebody took a wrench to it, but I doubt it. IME they can get loose so it's worth a look. They are however really cheap to replace and worth the extra couple dollars to get one anyhow. My LDS will replace it for free if you ask them to, it's not that hard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom