ankle zippers: pros and cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I like my wetsuit. She's an old 5mil made by Fathom. Very little wear and tear. I don't really want to buy a new one, this one fits almost perfectly: my only complaint is getting it over my feet. I think what I'd really like are some ankle zippers. So, I'm wondering if there are any good and reasonably priced alteration companies, especially new Gainesville, FL that anyone here has experience with, and if there are any reasons to avoid ankle zippers entirely. Thanks!

Ankle zippers often jam-up with sand if you do a lot of Beach Diving; a long soak under running water will free it up eventually, but it still is a nuisance to deal with at times. . .

Be sure that the zipper has a bellows closure behind it, not just an overlapping flap. The bellows will prevent any water entry through the zipper. Adding the zipper will create a small channel up the inside where water can try to enter. A close fit will keep this ingress to a minimum. If you're not in really cold water then just add them and make life easy.

Pete

Well, it looks like the zippers would run atleast $75. Considering I could buy a new wetsuit for double that, and a really nice one for 3 times that, might as well save up and get something newer than myself. This wetsuit is pretty nice but I kid you not, it's older than I am as best as I can figure out. I like her a ton better than my rental suit which left me freezing cold and miserable during every dive, but I wouldn't mind trying to get something newer. To really feel good using this suit for the long term, I'd want ankle zippers, knee and maybe forearm pads, and to add all of those to this suit would be about the same price as a new one.

Maybe elbow pads? I'm already noticing little scratches and things from not being careful enough in caverns and around rocks in springs. And there were some trees I almost ran into on a river drift dive once...:) I'd probably be fine with just knee pads, and don't need those, I just don't want to tear this thing up. She's a beautiful wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom