Ankle weights......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I played with ankle weights in my early dry dives. Once I realized that I could set my DUI harness a few inches lower than my natural hips I moves the weight into the harness and my kegs were fine. YMMV but I'm in a neoprene drysuit with big honking boots and thick socks so I'm not lacking foot buoyancy. The more you can reduce that leg mass in motion the better.

Pete

So, so far I have yet to hear a reason to absolutely HATE them the way so many do. The mere mention of them sends people running for their soapboxes. :D

Soapboxes are fun.

I think it's part of the whole Fundamentalist School of Internet DIR Diving. You can't improve physics by training, but you can improve trim by training. Therefore ankle weights are a crutch. Therefore anyone using them is a stroke. Etc.

(All that said, I stick by my recommendation of trying to remove them halfway through a dive - I had a hard time believing how much lighter I felt without them).

Soapboxes are fun.

I think it's part of the whole Fundamentalist School of Internet DIR Diving. You can't improve physics by training, but you can improve trim by training. Therefore ankle weights are a crutch. Therefore anyone using them is a stroke. Etc.

(All that said, I stick by my recommendation of trying to remove them halfway through a dive - I had a hard time believing how much lighter I felt without them).

I do like and will try that suggestion. When you remove them, where do you put them? I'm thinking adding 4 lbs (2 ea is smallest I could find) anywhere else would just end up altering my trim in other ways, defeating the purpose.

Therefore anyone using them is a stroke. Etc.
I'm waiting for the don't use ankle weights - just use heavier fins comment.:wink:

I'm waiting for the don't use ankle weights - just use heavier fins comment.:wink:

Too funny!! Here's what prompted this thread:

I haven't been diving in quite a while. Honestly, I couldn't remember how much weight I had used before. A friend was doing pool sessions and the instructor said I could come out and do my weight check. When I was done and discovered the buoyant feet issue, I mentioned it to him. That was exactly what he suggested. He said his fins were negatively buoyant. I said mine were too. His response, "These are more negative." Okay....so add'l weight is add'l weight silly!! Wasn't spending another $150 for "more negative" when I already have ankle weights.

I like those!! Thanks for the link!

Hi Elan....I'm diving single tank. Either Faber 95 or 120 (both LP). I'm using Hollis F1 fins. When I first started diving I had a brand new suit. I used ankle weights the first few dives and it certainly didn't wear me out. I'm sure over time, just like back then, I'll be able to forego them. I'll use them for the time being. Again, just wondering why people grumble when you pull them out. You'd think you were talking about walking over the reef on the last dive!!

You have a lot of weight to move around so you can definitely avoid using the ankle weights. And having buoyant boots and socks introduces more problems, your trim will be affected by depth. The dynamic range of your trim adjusting tool (your legs) is narrowed as at depth you will have heavier legs so you will have to bend your knees more and at the surface they will be lighter so you need to extend them. I would just dump those boots and 3 mil socks.

To sum it up I have found that people look at the weights negatively as they 1. often used in place of leaning proper trim tools and 2. they introduce additional mass to move. If you have to do a lot of swim you will notice that mass, if you just hung motionless then it would not matter.

To sum it up I have found that people look at the weights negatively as they 1. often used in place of leaning proper trim tools and 2. they introduce additional mass to move. If you have to do a lot of swim you will notice that mass, if you just hung motionless then it would not matter.
Gear = tools
Training = tools
All weights are just tools - place them where they do the most good - for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom