Ankle weights......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine would be less likely to fall off than my fins I think haha. They have these wraps, two of them, no clips. Like anything, the actual ankle weight should be assessed as well. Not all are suitable. Ones that clip on don't seem to be a good idea...

The advantage to heavy fins versus ankle weights, imo, is that your fin is very unlikely to fall off....whereas an ankle weight could fall off (at least the ones I've seen that have the little plastic clip) and make for an uncomfortable dive.

That said, I've never had any light feet issues that I haven't been able to fix with some minor trim adjustments....so I'm really unable to relate to people who do have that problem (and some people I've come to respect as divers have said that they like diving with ankle weights because it make everything more comfortable....if that works for them, fine with me).

Keep in mind (one thing hardly ever mentioned), is ones body shape, size, body fat percentage and bone density. Everybody is different.

Certainly your size (she's a lovely, tiny human BTW :wink: ) would never be confused with mine. (Much larger and not nearly as good looking.:depressed:) Larger and longer legs, bigger feet and more body mass mean larger suits, bigger boots, socks, more neoprene that all add up to more buoyancy. Sometimes moving the weight lower on the body is simply not enough to compensate for all of those factors.

As for the clips, I've never had one break - yet. If I did, I could manage just fine as I use the ankle weights (1lb each) to aiding me in holding motionless for long periods while videotaping. If I lost one, compensating would not be an issue.

I have a friend that puts two pounds (soft weight) in the bottom of each drysuit pocket. It has about the same lever arm as if he was wearing ankle weights if he had his feet up in standard frog-kick form. The difference effort-wise is great. He really isn't waving them back and forth with his fins but he still gets the weighting on the foot end of the fulcrum.

He has since worked out his trim and weighting so that he doesn't need the added weights in his pockets but puts it in there anyway and dives slightly heavy. It allows a little more air in the suit for comfort.

Just a different method to try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom