Ankle weights......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gear = tools
Training = tools
All weights are just tools - place them where they do the most good - for you.

Yeap, although at first many people (myself including), jump on the ankle weight train w/o trying to work on the training. I used them at first but later discovered I do not need them at all.

If for example the diver is using light fins with ankle weighs in place of heavy jets I do not seem much issue other than it's just another 2 pieces of gear you can forget or lose. But if one uses the heavy fins and ankle weights in addition, it is something to think about.

Yeap, although at first many people (myself including), jump on the ankle weight train w/o trying to work on the training. I used them at first but later discovered I do not need them at all.

If for example the diver is using light fins with ankle weighs in place of heavy jets I do not seem much issue other than it's just another 2 pieces of gear you can forget or lose. But if one uses the heavy fins and ankle weights in addition, it is something to think about.

I would not presume that anyone who uses ankle weights lacks the training or the skills necessary to manage their trim. Like I've said before, each diver is different and one size or diving philosophy does not fit all.

I would not presume that anyone who uses ankle weights lacks the training or the skills necessary to manage their trim. Like I've said before, each diver is different and one size or diving philosophy does not fit all.

Let's settle on that

I do like and will try that suggestion. When you remove them, where do you put them? I'm thinking adding 4 lbs (2 ea is smallest I could find) anywhere else would just end up altering my trim in other ways, defeating the purpose.

Temporarily clip them on your belt or on a random D-ring, or hand them off to your buddy. The goal is just to feel the difference in kicking effort before and after. Once that's done, you can make an informed decision whether you want to keep them or not.

I use them with drysuit diving. I have tried all (but one, more on that later) of the suggestions around that people give to others to help them avoid using them. I've had three instructors work with me to try to trim me out without them and they have had no luck. The final option I have been given is to get a trilam drysuit instead of a neoprene. Hmm bit much money just to ditch the ankle weights :wink:

I can dive without them if I really need, but I cannot hover motionlessly, I need to fin to keep my legs down and I find that quite annoying.

for example the diver is using light fins with ankle weighs in place of heavy jets I do not seem much issue other than it's just another 2 pieces of gear you can forget or lose. But if one uses the heavy fins and ankle weights in addition, it is something to think about.

Okay....so it's not the ankle weights themselves, it's the combo. So if John Doe is using them with light weight fins, that's okay. Steve Smith, that's twice the size, uses them with heavy fins and that's not acceptable? :rofl3:

Okay....so it's not the ankle weights themselves, it's the combo. So if John Doe is using them with light weight fins, that's okay. Steve Smith, that's twice the size, uses them with heavy fins and that's not acceptable? :rofl3:

You have to have some weight on your feet to make them negative so you can use your legs as a balancing tool, but on the other side the less weight you use to get that tool to work, the better as you do not have to move that mass with your legs with every kick. So before you use the ankle weights it is better to use all other options available. For example move the weights down on the tank, this will give you the same effect but you will not be moving the mass.

I'm waiting for the don't use ankle weights - just use heavier fins comment.:wink:

The advantage to heavy fins versus ankle weights, imo, is that your fin is very unlikely to fall off....whereas an ankle weight could fall off (at least the ones I've seen that have the little plastic clip) and make for an uncomfortable dive.

That said, I've never had any light feet issues that I haven't been able to fix with some minor trim adjustments....so I'm really unable to relate to people who do have that problem (and some people I've come to respect as divers have said that they like diving with ankle weights because it make everything more comfortable....if that works for them, fine with me).

The advantage to heavy fins versus ankle weights, imo, is that your fin is very unlikely to fall off....whereas an ankle weight could fall off (at least the ones I've seen that have the little plastic clip) and make for an uncomfortable dive.

Never ever had an ankle weight fall off or close to. Non issue.

I've had them come off, usually during entry. I'm glad I don't have to use them any more.

The bottom line is that your gear has to balance within the framework of what you can adjust with body posture, or you will spend your dive fighting your tendency to rotate in the direction of the heavy bits. Whether your basic tendency is to go head down or feet down depends on your body, your exposure protection, your tank, and your BC. I have seen divers in heavy wetsuits who really ARE feet light, even with Jet fins. This is especially true if they are diving Al80s, and have the tank up high enough to reach their valves. They have two options -- change expensive pieces of equipment (i.e. get a dry suit) or put some more weight low on the body (in pockets, or on their ankles).

You do what you have to do. Ankle weights aren't the devil's spawn, but for most people, other changes will make them unnecessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom