Ankle Weights vs. Gaiters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was sold ankle weights when i first started, i didn't question it. A few years later someone asked if i had tried diving without them because they are a crutch...not wanting to be not be a cool kid.. I nervously removed them and dove, and i was fine! Lol. Ot... Saw a sidemounter wearing ankle weights on saturday, it seemed a bit odd, don't those guys want feet up?

proper fitting boots, before gaiters or ankle weights. And practice, lots of practice. Just like anything else new.

I'm going to part company with the crowd here, and say that, if you need ankle weights at the beginning to feel more comfortable or safer, use them. Eventually, you will learn how to manage the bubble in the suit with finesse, and you won't need them any more.

A lot of us who decry ankle weights are using negative fins, which accomplishes more or less the same thing. The advantage is that you are unlikely either to forget or lose your fins . . .

If you decide you want gaiters, PM me. I have a pair of never wet Halcyon gaiters(seemed like a good idea at the time) that I'm sure we can work out a price on.

Becareful with gaitors, they do NOT prevent air traveling into the feet. They slow down the air going there by restricting it at the calf area. But once air gets there, getting the air out also gets slow down.

It seems like the issue is too big of rock boots, as your mentioned, can you start by using smaller rock boots or change to turbo sole? Heavier fin is probably better than ankle weight.

When I started drysuit diving I used both approaches at one point or another. Eventually I realized that I didn't actually need either. They're good training wheels, but ultimately not required. If you can get yourself to the point where you don't need them you'll be much happier having one less thing to have to bring with you to the dive site.

I agree with TS&M. Use the tools you have and dive. You may eventually end up removing them. The fewer things you have to strap on your body, the happier you'll be.

I currently use ankle weights due to the nature of the kit I'm diving. The biggest problem I have using them is remembering to put them on. I can't really tell the difference underwater, but I'd rather not have to put them on.

Hi everyone!

First off, thanks for all the replies, just reading through them has helped! Just to clear a few things up: getting smaller boots is not really a realistic option as I have integrated rock boots. Overall the drysuit fits pretty good, however being 17, pretty tall, and skinny, there is some excess air in places; I consider this a starter suit and dive it with the knowledge that sooner or later in my diving "career" I will upgrade to a better and more expensive suit, that is, after I'm done growing(; However, in that light, techintime's suggestion to simply get a new suit is just not a realistic solution.

When using a drysuit I find myself swimming in feet up position, and I tend to prefer the frog kick. Since I ankle weights would obviously weigh down the legs, I can see how many of you would consider them a handicap.

As of right now, I think I will try to get a pair of gaiters and put them on after tightening the fin strap to reduce the air space around the feet. I am aware that the majority of problems divers encounter can be solved through simple practice, and that more bottom time is never a bad thing, but as it is it just wouldn't feel right to ignore the problem as I continue to dive. Over time I too will probably outgrow these aides but for now, if gaiters help me focus more of my attention on the dive rather than fear of inversion, I'm all for them.

Thanks again for the responses, and keep the suggestions coming! Cheers

I agree with TS&M. Use the tools you have and dive. You may eventually end up removing them. The fewer things you have to strap on your body, the happier you'll be.

I currently use ankle weights due to the nature of the kit I'm diving. The biggest problem I have using them is remembering to put them on. I can't really tell the difference underwater, but I'd rather not have to put them on.

totally confused. "nature of the kit I am diving"
"I really can't tell the difference underwater. but I'd rather not have to put them on"
I do not have a clue what this means.

Hi everyone!

First off, thanks for all the replies, just reading through them has helped! Just to clear a few things up: getting smaller boots is not really a realistic option as I have integrated rock boots. Overall the drysuit fits pretty good, however being 17, pretty tall, and skinny, there is some excess air in places; I consider this a starter suit and dive it with the knowledge that sooner or later in my diving "career" I will upgrade to a better and more expensive suit, that is, after I'm done growing(; However, in that light, techintime's suggestion to simply get a new suit is just not a realistic solution.

When using a drysuit I find myself swimming in feet up position, and I tend to prefer the frog kick. Since I ankle weights would obviously weigh down the legs, I can see how many of you would consider them a handicap.

As of right now, I think I will try to get a pair of gaiters and put them on after tightening the fin strap to reduce the air space around the feet. I am aware that the majority of problems divers encounter can be solved through simple practice, and that more bottom time is never a bad thing, but as it is it just wouldn't feel right to ignore the problem as I continue to dive. Over time I too will probably outgrow these aides but for now, if gaiters help me focus more of my attention on the dive rather than fear of inversion, I'm all for them.

Thanks again for the responses, and keep the suggestions coming! Cheers

I would try relocating my weights. If you're using a steel tank, move it down lower. If you have trim pockets try lowering them as well. Basically just get that weight closer to your hips.

And as others have mentioned, use your drysuit for warmth and your BC for buoyancy. Just add enough air to deal with the squeeze as you need it, set your dump valve to auto and then as you ascend periodically roll a little to your side so that your left shoulder is up and stretch your body out straight. This should purge most of the extra air. Some instructors will teach you to just use the suit for everything based on the theory that dealing with one air bubble is easier than dealing with two, but there are good reasons not to do this. One is exactly what you have discovered. When you have more air in your drysuit than you need for warmth you can end up with parts of your body that are more buoyant than you would like. Another is venting. It is WAY easier to vent a BC in a hurry than it is to vent a drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom