Ankle Weights vs. Gaiters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

totally confused. "nature of the kit I am diving"
"I really can't tell the difference underwater. but I'd rather not have to put them on"
I do not have a clue what this means.
Likely due to phone posting. When I wear them underwater, I can't tell they're there, however as I'm gearing up, it's another thing to remember to put on... I'd rather not have to.

That leads to the whole "nature" thing. Currently, I have floaty feet when I hover. I've gone through several adjustments and had folks check me out underwater. A gear change would likely help.

consider this a starter suit and dive it with the knowledge that sooner or later in my diving "career" I will upgrade to a better and more expensive suit, that is, after I'm done growing(; However, in that light, techintime's suggestion to simply get a new suit is just not a realistic solution.

do not worry about such suggestions, people on SB are sometimes fast in making such suggestions and I often found this coming from people diving in warmer locations like Florida where people use the same undies throught a year. Those of us who use 100-200g in summer and 400g in winter an cannot afford 2 suits because they have higher priorities have to apply tricks like gaitors and fin keepers.
I personally do not use gators when I wear my 400g in cold water and use them with 100g in summer. 400g fits snug and 100g leaves space in calfs so gators help.
Besides many of those warm water divers so jot know that "just add enough air to barely remove squeeze" is not working in 35-40f water and some type of undergarment requires gas to keep you warm.
So take advises with a grain of salt and do not be afraid to experiment until you find what works for you.

Spring Straps too if you don't have them already. You don't need to adjust them (once they're properly sized) and they are also slightly negative. If you're going to add weight, might as well make it useful!

I really like my gaitors and use them 100% of the time these last 2-3 yrs (since purchase). Others have tried them, no one has failed to purchase their own, haven't noticed any friends that own them but don't use them.

Feeling a need to ankle weights is something that will go way in time (with more experience). Keep diving without and after 20-30 dives you will start to get the suit and its trim under control. As others have said, heavy fins do help and spring straps are really nice and easy to don/doff.

----------------------
Sent from my X using Y. Couldn't care less? Ditto.

I'm going to part company with the crowd here, and say that, if you need ankle weights at the beginning to feel more comfortable or safer, use them. Eventually, you will learn how to manage the bubble in the suit with finesse, and you won't need them any more.

A lot of us who decry ankle weights are using negative fins, which accomplishes more or less the same thing. The advantage is that you are unlikely either to forget or lose your fins . . .

Thank you ... I had this conversation with a student just two days ago who was talked out of using ankle weights by a more experienced diver. I explained to her that I'm not a big fan of ankle weights, but you need what you need, and as you gain skill your body makes adjustments. On my first dive with her, she was feet-light despite every shift and trick I knew to try. I told her on the next dive, put on the ankle weights ... and eventually we'll work toward no longer needing them.

Everyone's body is just a little bit different ... there are no universal solutions that work for all divers ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Vladimir-sponsored spell check. Someone had to do it.

Gator = short from of alligator
Gaitor = blending of words typo
Gaiter = material worn around the lower leg and calf to compress drysuit legs

An old Russian anecdote:

a team lead of the construction team is announcing to the team that the fork lift is broken and the team will be hand loading aluminum bars on the truck

- so guys we will now be loading luminum bars on the truck

one team member is correcting him
- Sir, its Aluminum not luminum
and the lead is answering
- and the smart a$$e$ will be loading cast iron bars

Vladimir-sponsored spell check. Someone had to do it.

Gator = short from of alligator
Gaitor = blending of words typo
Gaiter = material worn around the lower leg and calf to compress drysuit legs

Back
Top Bottom