Ankle Weights vs. Gaiters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mndiv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

I recently started drysuit diving, and since the majority of my diving takes place in the chilly midwest, this is pretty exciting stuff for me. However during my drysuit class I became inverted and had to surface with an instructor. I think this is due to the fact that my rock boots are slightly too big and therefore have excess air in them, in addition I have a little bit of extra material in the legs of my drysuit. In the class I temporarily fixed the problem by pulling my fin straps on really tight, which had the effect of reducing the airspace around my feet, however, this is obviously no permanent solution. When I talked to the instructor about my problem he originally suggested one or two pound ankle weights. At the time this made sense because I needed an extra 4 or so anyway with a drysuit, but recently I have also looked into gaiters. I know gaiters wouldn't actually reduce the airspace in your feet, but I can't help but feel that ankle weights would destroy any sort of trim and make it very difficult to kick. In a time when I'm adjusting to diving dry and trying to work out buoyancy etc. with a drysuit as it is, this would obviously by counterproductive.

Basically my question is: which option would be the better one in my situation? Plain and simple. I know there are advantages and disadvantages to both, and I'm just looking for some feedback and opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Are you using the suit for buoyancy?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I can't think of an advantage to ankle weights.

The problem is too much air in your feet/legs. Gaiters help minimize the problem. Ankle weights continue to allow the problem to happen and then compensate for it.

God, how many of us have went down this same path? A group of us just had this discussion this past weekend and all of us tried the same things...V weights, ankle weights, gaiters etc and today we dive with none of these things. I tried all the same only to come full circle to not needing either...just time drysuit diving. My 2 cents worth...dive more and put less air into the suit (you should feel the squeeze).

Last edited:
I'd try everything else first and then if you still need it, get the weights. However, for me they would be an absolute last resort, because if you weight your feet down then it's going to take more energy to kick.

Drysuit diving. 101.

1. Properly fitting suit
2. As little air as possible, just to relieve squeeze.
3. Thick socks
4. Negatively buoyant Fins (Look at F1's, JetFins etc)
5. Dive, dive, dive

For reference, I use 4kg's on a belt with a SS Backplate on a 12ltr cylinder.

Everything Tony said plus...

Work the problem in a logical order...suit from the inside out, overall weight, weight distribution and of course diving technique throughout.

First...Don't overdo it on the undergarment and the socks, just enough to stay warm. The heavier the undergarment/socks the bigger the buoyancy problem. I started out using a heavy undergarment and heavy ski socks...now I use a lighter undergarment, normal tube socks and smaller Rock Boots tied tight.

Then...if the suit is too big, or doesn't fit well, just bite the bullet and get another that does. Same goes for the Rock Boots (I bought three pairs before I got it right). Trilam suits have least effect on buoyancy changes

Then...Consider getting heavier fins such as the scubapro Jetfins.

Then...get your overall weighting right for minimum gas in the suit and BC and end of dive psi at 20ft safety stop.

Then...adjust the positions of that total weight to get your trim right (and the weight distribution will likely change as you get better at diving with the suit). Also, if you dive a wing BC, it may have different sets of holes to adjust the position of the BC relative to the backplate and hence the trim.

Then...always stay in trim to keep the gas out of your legs

Fine points:
While generally I find it best to minimize the amount of gas in the suit and use the BC for buoyancy control, you can make minor adjustments to your trim by adjusting the distribution of gas in your BC versus your suit...depending on the BC type, generally gas in the suit gives you head up and gas in the BC give you head down

Another method of minor trim adjustment...Use your arms as a trim adjustment tool. arms forward = head up trim, arms closer to the chest = head down

Super fine point:
If the trim is squared away except for some instability at the very end of the dive (where theoretically you should end up with min gas in the suit and min gas in the BC) then add a pound or two in total weight properly distributed to give yourself something to play with in terms of trim gas in the suit/BC

If you require additional abrasion protection and adjustable tension control (to prevent excess air from entering the boots) Gaiters are useful. Depending on the material used, gaiters may reduce the air in the lower leg, but may be inherently buoyant themselves. Some Divers like AW and I used them when I first started using a dry-suit. They don't make it noticeably more difficult to kick, but can increase your gas consumption slightly.

It really comes down to your preference. It has already been mentioned that many of us have been through this process, so perhaps it's part of our journey in diving. We try different equipment, different methods and eventually find something that works for us individually. I suppose that's why I don't like to criticize anyone for their choice of equipment. It's all a process to figure out. For me it still continues and is part of the fun I get out of diving... :)

I do most of my kicking in a modified scissor position (knees bent at almost a right angle) as I just haven't been able to master the other kicks. That position, with my feet above me, always made me feel "on the edge", though its likely psychological. My suit is well tailored (custom build), so there really isn't the "big space" in the legs, and I have sock bottoms rather than TurboSoles, so no big space there either as the socks fill that area (though that is air). When I use gaiters (I have DRs), things just feel right.....

I'm not a fan of ankle weights (and I too own them - they are in a box somewhere.....)

If nobody has gaiters to demo, see if someone has a spare set of knife straps, try them and see it they work. If so, gaiters may be an option..

Like you said gaitors will not prevent air coming to the feet. All they do is wrapping excess material in your lover leg, preventing air from accumulating in that area. To eliminate air in your feet you need to find proper fitting boot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom