Ankle Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Reply...

My advise is to avoid anything that can be construed as make-shift...

If you lose your make-shift attachment whatever it may be...you will become buoyant...maybe uncontrollably buoyant...

Again...take a ''Peak Performance Buoyancy Course'' and avoid this additional weighting altogether...

You are far better off once all your ''crutches'' have fallen away...

Some OW instructors seem to think that teaching proper buoyancy skills is too ''time'' intensive and having their students negative is better than having them bobbing on the surface in frustration...

This unfortunately results in some students who learned this way and who never advance to give up the sport early...thinking that they're doing something wrong...they are...but they only know what they were taught...

There are all kinds of reasons why divers are overly buoyant and have difficulties descending...with few exceptions the lions share have to do with lack acquired skills learned through training...and practice...

More weight...is never the solution to the ''root cause''...of the problem...

On a slightly different subject...but still having to do with positive buoyancy problems...it always surprises me to hear dry-suit divers complain about positive buoyancy issues...and to see dry-suit divers jumping in the water with 40 LB of ballast...

If the suit fits right...is not full of folds and bulk that trap air...and is properly evacuated pre dive...no dry-suit intended for diving...should be any more buoyant than a new properly fitting 7 mm wet suit...if it is there is a problem...more ballast is not the solution...because often times what happens at depth during suit compression...that trapped air finally burps out...and you end up dropping like a stone...

Just my opinion...based on my experience...

Dive Safe...

Warren

Good thoughts Warren. I have taken the peak buoyancy class, most ppl will tell me to buy a different bcd since my Zuma travel bcd does not have many options.

Ah... two more options then.

First the old bungeed weight on the shoulder strap trick:

Then, you can always use a spare cam band and put that weight anywhere on the tank you want. I add 3 pound weights when I dive AL80s on sidemount to keep the butts down:

With the cam band, you can use weight pouches as pictured, or go with solid slotted weights. Either option is easier to fly with than ankle weights.You can put the weight high on the tank or anywhere you want.

Speaking of floating butts... remember that AL tanks are not intuitive when it comes to how they affect your trim. Moving them down in the BC will cause your butt to rise and not sink. Remember that you're moving the bubble and not just mass. Contrary to this, steel tanks are very intuitive, and shifting them higher on the BCD will cause your butt to rise. Don't let the frustration get you: move that AL 80 as far down as you can in your BCD.

The Zuma shoulder straps are not the typical width so weight pockets really not an option without some work. I want to try something on the tank first. I've had good buoyancy in other bcd's but it's limited with the Zuma.

Marty...and others...

Ankle weights are for your ankles...to provide a little extra ballast for dry suits...and usually because the air in the suit was not properly evacuated pre- dive...dry-suit gaiters are a popular choice to avoid air buildup in dry-suit legs...taking a recognized dry suit course and owning a dry suit that fits properly will eliminate this problem...

To weight your tanks...or the rear of your BCD you need ''trim weights'' a lot of current BCD's have rear integrated ''trim weight pockets'' for ''trim weights"...some will come with two removable trim pockets attached to the cam-band(s)...

Take a ''Peak Performance Buoyancy Course'' and you won't need either trim weights or ankle weights...

The idea is to be neutral...not negative...

You will never be a proficient diver by diving ''negative''...as the deeper you dive...the more negative you become...at depth you're constantly adding or releasing gas in you BCD to stay neutral...if you're finding your bottom time cut short...it's because you're constantly exhausting gas from your BCD...

An OW certification does not give you all the answers...it's an entrance ticket through the door to proficiency through continuous learning...you will gain knowledge that will make you far less susceptible to bad ideas...

Dive Safe...

Warren

Thanks for the help. Taken the peak buoyancy class and have an advanced open water cert. I've working with my current Zuma which is limited on options as stated.

how hard do you think you need to press that lever up top to get yourself flat and level?

Not sure since I just purchased new fins, Mares X-Stream which are neutral. I'm guessing 2lbs but if I'm overweight it was a waste, if I get a 1.5 I will be closer at worse. Thanks for the help.

Not sure since I just purchased new fins, Mares X-Stream which are neutral. I'm guessing 2lbs but if I'm overweight it was a waste, if I get a 1.5 I will be closer at worse. Thanks for the help.
The idea is to eliminate whatever you add at the tank from either weight belt or integrated weight pockets. That's why I like hydros, as a travel bcd it is a bit heavy but I can pack everything into my personal item for the plane ride, it dries really fast, and is comfortable on my larger frame. It has trim pockets that I put 2lbs each, 2 lb tank weight, 6lb on a belt when wearing a rash guard or old 3mm suit. That's with a 15l tank though, I add 2 lbs somewhere in a smaller tank.

That's with scubapro jet sport fins for travel, or mares quatro full foot. I've always had issues with heavy legs and feet, all the way back to swimming as a child. Could never just float on my back was without sinking lol. My son has the same issues. Best of luck

Leisurepro has a couple of choices to pick from including 1# wts. In my opinion 1 # makes a big difference when placed up on the tank valve, and is probably all you need. If you're properly weighted, but feet heavy, and add an ankle weight, what's the worst that can happen? You'll be a pound overweighted? Don't let anyone tell you an ankle weight on your tank valve is a gimmick. It's a lot more cost effective than trying to buy lighter fins.

Also, there's no such thing as a floaty butt. If your butt is sticking up you have bad posture.

Good thoughts Warren. I have taken the peak buoyancy class, most ppl will tell me to buy a different bcd since my Zuma travel bcd does not have many options.

Marty...

Buy a modular system...harness...as simple or as fancy as you desire...a back-plate...a wing...a single tank adapter with two cam bands...preferably with metal buckles...and a set of pockets...primary/trim etc...a crotch strap will also help...

The OMS IQ Pack harness is fabulous...very comfortable...your back-plate fits into a pocket...I used one for years diving doubles...

I would suggest a stainless steel back-plate...the added weight in some cases will eliminate the need for rear trim weights/pockets...

This system can be modified as you transition and advance...you can modify it for doubles...side-mount...

Also...it can be easily disassembled for packing...it can be spread around several suit-cases...you won't even know it's there...

Far better than replacing $900. BCD's when your diving changes...replacing modular sub-components is a lot less expensive by comparison...and as long as you keep all your sub-components...you can always transition back...doubles at home...single tank for travelling...

Check out Dive Gear Express...in any case...stick with the shops that specialize in modular systems...they can help you set your kit up for your specific needs...and provide help and advise down the road when your needs change...

Dive Safe...

Warren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom