Ankle Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty Bess

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can someone point me the right direction/link for an ankle weight to put on a tank? Just don't want to buy one if it's not correct. Never seen one.

Thanks,
Marty

These will go around the neck of the tank:

ankle_weights_7.jpg

Dive Right In Scuba Ankle Weight
These will go on the tank cam band (not ankle weights):

Marty- I guess I suggested them in the first place on another thread, so I may as well chime in again.
Yes, to adjust the trim on your Zuma get the ankle weight, not the cam band pocket. You will almost for sure have to buy a pair, rather than just one. But I think this is for both you and your spouse, so maybe that works out great.

I originally bought a pair of 1 lb weights, and added either one or two to the tank valve as needed. When adding two weights it gets a little crowded and confusing up there, so I would prefer to add just one heavier weight.

In your case, I don't think a 1 lb on each of your tanks will quite get you where you want to be. I would suggest either a pair of 1.5 lb weights, or a pair of 2 lb weights, assuming you each use one on each of your cylinders. Which one is a judgement call on your part - how hard do you think you need to press that lever up top to get yourself flat and level?

Not sure what you mean in the below question, which lever?

how hard do you think you need to press that lever up top to get yourself flat and level?

Can someone point me the right direction/link for an ankle weight to put on a tank? Just don't want to buy one if it's not correct. Never seen one.

Thanks,
Marty

Marty...and others...

Ankle weights are for your ankles...to provide a little extra ballast for dry suits...and usually because the air in the suit was not properly evacuated pre- dive...dry-suit gaiters are a popular choice to avoid air buildup in dry-suit legs...taking a recognized dry suit course and owning a dry suit that fits properly will eliminate this problem...

To weight your tanks...or the rear of your BCD you need ''trim weights'' a lot of current BCD's have rear integrated ''trim weight pockets'' for ''trim weights"...some will come with two removable trim pockets attached to the cam-band(s)...

Take a ''Peak Performance Buoyancy Course'' and you won't need either trim weights or ankle weights...

The idea is to be neutral...not negative...

You will never be a proficient diver by diving ''negative''...as the deeper you dive...the more negative you become...at depth you're constantly adding or releasing gas in you BCD to stay neutral...if you're finding your bottom time cut short...it's because you're constantly exhausting gas from your BCD...

An OW certification does not give you all the answers...it's an entrance ticket through the door to proficiency through continuous learning...you will gain knowledge that will make you far less susceptible to bad ideas...

Dive Safe...

Warren

Marty has another thread asking about more efficient fins. Went in a lot of directions as they tend to do, but we identified that Marty probably had more of an issue with trim than with poor fins.
Here is that other thread: 58 years old, looking for fins to help with efficiency?

@W W Meixner
Warren- Marty's BCD has a single low cam band - no place to add trim pockets to move some weight away from center of gravity. The cam band is in line with the weight pockets, thus the need to be a little more creative with trim than my go-to first choice, trim pockets.

Since I knew the background on the other thread that initiated this question, I tried to be as specific and focused as possible for Marty's new question.

Back
Top Bottom