Ankle floats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Side note: I'm not doubting you, but I find that curious. That is what they are "supposed to" avoid. I like mine for open water cruising, but am moving away from them due to the type of diving I'm doing and a change of footwear.
It’s very odd. I got splits originally due to horrid knees. I have met only one other diver that has that same cramping issue with the splits. It has made me wonder as well. I tried the go sport fins and just didn’t mesh with them. Then the power fins which are like a dream. My longest dive is only 90 minutes but no cramps or fatigue with them at all.

With moving the weights to my trim pockets... it would defeat the purpose of carrying them. I don’t technically need them but it makes everyone else (ie: instructors and dive leaders) more comfortable. Instead of moving them up I would eliminate them completely and be able to kick to the surface easier.
I am going on what has been advised to me in regards to being able to ditch something in case of an emergency. 3lbs has been what I carry as 1.5lbs is the lowest I’ve been able to get.

Tank position is already as far up as I can comfortably go.

If I could find .5lbs I would try two on the tank collar and .5 on each side though..... that’s a suggestion that may work if I can find them.

I will be getting in the pool tomorrow to see what happens without fins. And then try out some lighter ones as well.

I am negative in the setup above ...//...
No surprise.

...//... and I am negative if I jump in butt naked.
I doubt it. You are probably positive with a full breath, and very likely negative if you exhale deeply.

This is where you begin building a 'balanced rig'. You can do this most efficiently by talking to the DIR types. You don't have to become one of them, but then again, you might want to.

Personal choice. :wink:

I knew a young new diver who had received split fins as a gift. They gave her terrible cramps. Turned out that they were ridiculously heavy. I don't recall the make.

I knew a young new diver who had received split fins as a gift. They gave her terrible cramps. Turned out that they were ridiculously heavy. I don't recall the make.
A worse gift than regifting 10 year old fruit cake!

scubapro twin jets probably. solid rubber split fins.

That sounds familiar

I asked this question years ago. With my split fins and cement-like legs, my feet are slightly out of line from horizontal. Not enough to make any weight adjustments, like attaching some to tank, etc.
For a short while I actually attached those tiny boat buoys that prevent the boat from hitting the dock. Looked stupid on my ankles. Need ankle floats. Anyone knowing where to buy (order) them let me know please.
I'm not changing fins or anything else at this point.

With moving the weights to my trim pockets... it would defeat the purpose of carrying them. I don’t technically need them but it makes everyone else (ie: instructors and dive leaders) more comfortable. Instead of moving them up I would eliminate them completely and be able to kick to the surface easier.

I am going on what has been advised to me in regards to being able to ditch something in case of an emergency. 3lbs has been what I carry as 1.5lbs is the lowest I’ve been able to .

No one else has commented on this yet, so maybe I’m wrong, but this makes absolutely no sense to me. What is the point of carrying extra ballast, that is unnecessary, “in case of an emergency”? To dive, you’ll need to be neutrally buoyant. Do they want you to drop your weights and shoot to the surface like a missile? The formally taught technique in case of an emergency is a “swimming ascent” which does not inherently require you to drop weight, and since you’re ADDING weight to make yourself negatively buoyant, ultimately means you’re back to where you’re started before adding the extra, unnecessary weight.

to me, it seems like you should just dive without the weights. They provide no extra safety, and will just making your diving harder. If your group requires it for some reason, ask them why and make them actually defend their position. It seems like nonsense to me.

also, dropping 3 lbs from a belt will have minimal impact anyway. 3 pounds is less than half a lung full of air in volume.

No one else has commented on this yet, so maybe I’m wrong, but this makes absolutely no sense to me. What is the point of carrying extra ballast, that is unnecessary, “in case of an emergency”? To dive, you’ll need to be neutrally buoyant. Do they want you to drop your weights and shoot to the surface like a missile? The formally taught technique in case of an emergency is a “swimming ascent” which does not inherently require you to drop weight, and since you’re ADDING weight to make yourself negatively buoyant, ultimately means you’re back to where you’re started before adding the extra, unnecessary weight.

to me, it seems like you should just dive without the weights. They provide no extra safety, and will just making your diving harder. If your group requires it for some reason, ask them why and make them actually defend their position. It seems like nonsense to me.

also, dropping 3 lbs from a belt will have minimal impact anyway. 3 pounds is less than half a lung full of air in volume.

I am able to become neutral with the 3lbs. Just requires air in the bc. With air in the bc, assuming I am neutral, dropping those 3 lbs has an impact. Picking up 3 lbs has an impact on me at the bottom of the pool. Yes, I can pick it up and become neutral using my lungs. Yes I can control myself from rapidly ascending when I drop it.
As stated, I am going by what the instructors want. (Original dive shop I went to insisted that I would need 12lbs of weight.... this shop acknowledges that I do not need weight but does ask that I carry some. I can discuss it with them again and see)

The scenario for me actually dropping my weights is only if I am in a complete out of air scenario with no buddy close enough to assist. (Not a likely scenario but....) In that situation yes, they expect you to shoot to the surface like a spread out starfish and hope for the best. It is not a low on air swimming ascent. 3lbs in that scenario on me would be a big difference.

But again, looking for options on getting my feet a little less heavy... or moving my weight to help compensate for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom