Ankle floats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the skill of "Underwater removal and replacement of the weight/ballast system". This makes sense since the diver is likely to have to use weights at some point, even if it's not needed in the OW class.
Huh???
You do realize that there is a pretty big difference between being completely OOA and having 500PSI, don't you? I do understand that 500 PSI in an AL 80 is only about a pound, but it is a pound nonetheless.
Yeah, but I'm talking THREE pounds and a seriously concerned (panicked?) diver in distress...
I will make a few comments about the main topic, which I had no knowledge of when I foolishly stepped in from out of the blue.
Best quote in this thread.

(From someone who rarely even tolerates me...)

@chillyinCanada, No, no. I'm not here. This is my last post in this thread. Really.

Removed the ditch weights. Added 2lb weight to tank valve. Trim looks good.
This weekend I dove with the lavacore, 3mm full and my power fins. The 2lb weight being moved up really helped.
I can swim to the surface with it easily if needed.
I can not accommodate the ditch and ascend if unconscious.... but it is what it is. Hopefully in that situation whoever finds me will cut the tank weight or put some air in my bc... it’s out of my hands!

but the @The Chairman point about floaty rear's of aluminum tanks is an interesting one.
Not all AL tanks are created equal. You have to test yours out. Adding an ankle weight to the top of the tank will make it act more like a steel tank.

The position of your fins is also important. I frog kick all the time, but it's a modified frog kick. My knees are bent so that my fins are over my thighs. My resting position is with my heels barely touching the butt of my tank. That shifts my COG forward.

Good job! I'm Glad it helped.

This weekend I dove with the lavacore, 3mm full and my power fins. The 2lb weight being moved up really helped.
I can swim to the surface with it easily if needed.
I can not accommodate the ditch and ascend if unconscious.... but it is what it is. Hopefully in that situation whoever finds me will cut the tank weight or put some air in my bc... it’s out of my hands!
I guess if you want redundant buoyancy you can always carry a DSMB and a spool/reel ?

Well done on the trim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom