Angela Orlich Testimony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is NOT the forum in which to discuss the schematics of incident vs. crime.

I agree, but remember, you stated:

This is the Accidents and Incidents Forum for the discussion of diving accidents and incidents. I believe that what happened to Ms. Orlich definitely qualifies as an incident.

I agree, but remember, you stated:

This is the Accidents and Incidents Forum for the discussion of diving accidents and incidents. I believe that what happened to Ms. Orlich definitely qualifies as an incident.

I believe that she meant was that we shouldn't be trying to argue the difference between the words "incident" and "crime" in this thread.

So, would you allow your teenage daughter or wife to dive with him unaccompanied? If you say no, then you have defeated your own argument.

Mike

So, would you allow your teenage daughter or wife to dive with him unaccompanied? If you say no, then you have defeated your own argument.

Mike

Actually, I have to wonder about that, as well. Where was her buddy? Where was the rest of the group? No, I wouldn't allow myself, my husband, my mother, my teenage daughter, or anyone to go diving alone with a stranger in the first place.

It has nothing to do with him being accused of molestation - it has to do with not putting myself in that situation, with a complete stranger, in an unfamiliar dive spot in the first place.

Actually, I have to wonder about that, as well. Where was her buddy? Where was the rest of the group? No, I wouldn't allow myself, my husband, my mother, my teenage daughter, or anyone to go diving alone with a stranger in the first place.

It has nothing to do with him being accused of molestation - it has to do with not putting myself in that situation, with a complete stranger, in an unfamiliar dive spot in the first place.

From what I read, she was buddied up with this "instructor" because she didnt have a dive buddy on the cruise with her. That is how she ended up with this guy.

A similar experience was described on Scubaboard by one of our own members in 2005.
I hesitated to post this, since the 2005 thread is closed (when it resurfaced a year or so later, a mod rightfully noted that a lot of mending had occurred and closed it).
While some of the details are similar (depth, removal of air supply), the two reports are from different locations in Mexico at different times and the name given by Ms. Orlich does not appear to be on the list of suspended instructors on PADI's website as was noted in the 2005 Scubaboard thread.
The previous thread is here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/93415-assault-60-feet-below-mexico.html
While I do not believe that the reports are related, both are equally disturbing.
My thoughts go out to Ms. Orlich and any other victims of any such assaults.

From what I read, she was buddied up with this "instructor" because she didnt have a dive buddy on the cruise with her. That is how she ended up with this guy.

I don't see that anywhere in the version of her testimony I've found online, but if you've read it, I'd like a link, please.

Yes, I understand that. What it does not say is that he was her diving buddy, and so far as I know, a dive instructor isn't going to take a single new student, especially out of a large group of divers, 60 ft under water for a lesson.

Which leads me back to my original question: Where was her buddy? Where were the other divers?

And now I want to know why she followed him to that depth; the whole situation would be awfully suspicious to me; was she present when the other divers were prepping for the dive? Did she notice them putting on wetsuits? Why didn't she question the process?

Look, I'm not saying any of this makes her any less of a victim, but there are so many holes in her story that a good attourney is going to tear her to pieces when she goes to court.

And now I want to know why she followed him to that depth; the whole situation would be awfully suspicious to me; was she present when the other divers were prepping for the dive? Did she notice them putting on wetsuits? Why didn't she question the process?

When I dove a resort course off Cozumel much like this, there were no wetsuits given to us either. The report doesn't say everyone else got suits. The instructors or DM's had them but we were not offered a suit as part of our equipment. Our dive consisted of only 4 people (me, my husband, another couple) and the instructor. I also blindly followed the instructor so this story doesn't seem to far fetched. Now of course I know better and realize how dumb that was but when you are new, uncertified, and have been told you will be safe, sometimes stupidity takes over. Stupidity though, doesn't mean you deserve to get assaulted.

Also this isn't meant to be offensive to anyone but as a female traveling in Mexico, you will be starred at and talked to much different than you might get at home. She might not have either seen this behavior in him ahead of the dive or just thought he was acting as many of the Mexican men around her were.

Her report also reads as if she tried to notify local authorities at the time and then called her consulate, and later on came back to Mexico to try and prosecute him. I can understand being in a foreign country where you don't know the language and being afraid of missing your only transportation out of there (the ship). That would be a reasonable excuse for not having made full report to the local authorities. Cruise lines book themselves as all inclusive and able to take care of all of your needs. It might be naive but she probably thought it best to get on board and safe and then try to get more help.

Miranda

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom