And they say steel tanks last forever....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My point is that it's the DOT not the company that sets the test standards for DOT tanks, and that the manufacturer, as a result, has no authority to "require" anything.

Luis H:
You are correct in that the procedure described under “PST Technical bulletin D100” is not required by the DOT or any CFR, but it is required by the manufacturer. And it complies (doesn’t violate) CFR49. Not following a procedure required by a manufacturer may not violate codes, but IMO it is negligent.

Well, here is the thing, how do you know it failed? I caught one dive shop tell me my steel tank failed and he never had sent it out for hydro. How do you know it failed? Can he provide a documnet that startes the hydro facility failed the tank? If not and he XXXX over the date himself he owes you a new tank.

Yeah, I like LP steel 72s and I also understand the great qualities of the much maligned aluminum 80.

if you suspect malpractice and you have the data sheets who can you take them to to comfirm it?

Why did they stamp XXXX over the date? The tank needs a new date after it passed hydro. The old date does not mean anything since it is more then 5 years old.
I had a steel 72 fail recently and they did not stamp anything on it. I could of had it re-tested but decided not to. After reading here I wonder if I should have now.

Original dates on my 72 doubles that I just had assembled are 70 and 71. both just passed hydro. one in august, the other last week. I also have two more with the 1/2 inch neck pipe thread that date back to 53 and 55 respectively. They still have 2 years left on this hydro and should pass the next.

I never got any documentation, all I got was a brief explaination and a sticker on my tank that had very little information about the results. The sticker basically had the name of the inspect (unreadable) and a number of possible ways for a tank to fail, mine was checked off at "Failed Expansion Test" (or something to that extent).

Back
Top Bottom