And they say steel tanks last forever....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itch808

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Got my LP 72 steel tank back from hydro, and it FAILED! Original manufactured date was '74. It only had a little surface rust on the inside, but nothing major. AL80 here I come :)

My LP 72's are older than that... still passing VIP's and Hydros.

I assume that should have been [sarcasm]AL80 here I come[/sarcasm]. Sounds like your tank lasted 33 years!

It probably wasn't properly cared for or was overfilled regularly. I have two tanks in service with original hydro dates in 1955.

itch808:
Got my LP 72 steel tank back from hydro, and it FAILED! Original manufactured date was '74. It only had a little surface rust on the inside, but nothing major. AL80 here I come :)
See how many Al tanks are in service from '74. I have a steel 72 from 1960 that is in hydro and has given me years of service.

itch808:

Clearly you were ripped off. Back in '74 you probably paid $50 for that tank! Highway robbery to pay that much for a tank and only have it last 32+ years.:D

If I were you I would post the name of the manufacturer of that cylinder so us good ScuabBoarders can begin a boycott and letter writing campaign!

Mark Vlahos

When I took the PSI tank inspection course a couple of months ago, they told us that the lifespan of a steel tank is in the vicinity of 30 years.

I have six 72s, and at least two of them date to the early 70's, and they passed hydro within the last year and a half. With luck, they'll do it again!

(BTW, Aluminum tanks have a much shorter lifespan.)

My 1973 aluminum is still in service. A steel tank to last as long as itch has is pretty good. 1970's compressed air was typcally not as pure as today's. I started out with a 1969 steel 72, and it lasted about 10 years. It a vinyl lined. Once it started rusting, it could not be tumbled.

I have a industrial O2 supply cylinder in my garage which was made in 1933.

Gotta be careful with overfills in particular, they do shorten the life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom