And so it begins. Panic in the California dive boat industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even if regulations force the current boats out of business, they will still exist. They will be sold and used in another location. Probably with even less oversite.

Given the economics of California, there will not be any new boats replacing them. This will be a case of making things better in turn has only killed the industry.

Blitz once made gas cans. Very simple, nothing wrong with them. People did stupid things (drunk, pouring gas on a fire), got burned. They sued. The vents were removed, anti-flashback screens were added in the name of "safety". They made them more difficult to use and arguably more unsafe. The company was forced to fold. No nobody can get a good gas can anymore. I know people who search garage sales looking for the good "old" gas cans. Most people I know have started using "utility jugs" that state they are not to be used for fuel. 99% of what people use them for is fuel. Closest thing anyone can get to a good gas can. All thanks to lawsuits and safety regulations.

As for divers being cheap? Look around. If you have time/money you go places besides California. California is for people who can't get away. That is cheap. Between taxes and the gear, you don't go far.

And for the Lithium batteries, if you are thinking they are plug in USB things like a phone or a GoPro, you have no idea what a real light is. A quick check, the first high power light I found on DGX, Light Monkey 32 Watt Variable Focus | Dive Gear Express®. You get 3 hours of high power burn time. Takes 6 hours to recharge with a dedicated charger. USB chargers don't worry me at all. Salt water doesn't bother me in batteries either. It has issues, huffing some chlorine gas is probably the biggest. But it isn't the short circuit that you get when you crowbar a battery. It just runs the battery down. For big battery packs like this, the manufacturer states the disposal method is to submerge the battery in salt water until no voltage is detected across the terminals then dispose of in household refuse.

Actually the watchkeeper gets more tips overlooking things like a power strip, passageways blocked with kit, charging phone in bed by passengers than they get if they do their job.

In a way it is funny that you say that because it is true. you tip the guy for the conveinience he provides and not the compliance enforced.

It was a real question. In the U.K. a large number of divers are price sensitive and will spend a lot of time to save £50, some of course will spend a lot to save £50 :). I have no idea about the demographic of CA divers. Would doubling the cost to make it work really be an issue? Would they all fly to the Caribbean instead? Comparing Scapa boats which take 12 divers, they are only slightly cheaper than a week in the Red Sea but none the less are booked up a year or more ahead.

There is a lot of comment on here basically saying that modifications to enhance safety would increase costs and destroy the business. I am questioning that.

Lets say it does not. then the problem becomes when do you want to do the update. Do you do it while others do not. Will the update cause you to raise charges that drives business away form you and to your competitors. All gas pumps ere supposed to be chip readable a year or more ago. They still are not. It costs to make that update times how many thousands of pumps. The change probably in real cost is a couple of hundred a pump with warranties, but because it was a legislation will now be thousands per pump to hike corporate profeits. It is the same thing that happens when there is a storm and roofing goes form 150 a square to 400 a square.

Lets say it does not. then the problem becomes when do you want to do the update. Do you do it while others do not. Will the update cause you to raise charges that drives business away form you and to your competitors. All gas pumps ere supposed to be chip readable a year or more ago. They still are not. It costs to make that update times how many thousands of pumps. The change probably in real cost is a couple of hundred a pump with warranties, but because it was a legislation will now be thousands per pump to hike corporate profeits. It is the same thing that happens when there is a storm and roofing goes form 150 a square to 400 a square.
I actually read a report that it was $20k per reader. I’m skeptical. That’s a lot of samolis.

It just occured to me that in MD (or at least in Montgomery County where we'd lived for awhile) the law forbade using basements as bedrooms unless there was an exit from the basement. That is, not a stairway up to the next level but an exit outside from the house. Applying the same rule to the LOBs, Conception clearly posed a safety risk. So, instead of rushing some questional changes of the "zero tolerance to lithium" kind, why not start with safety basics?

The previous writers are correct about Coastguard regulations covering a charter vessel with over 6 people on board overnight. An Anchor watch is mandated as is 2 separate egress points, fire and smoke/ CO2 detection as well as electrical and non electrical fire suppressants.
No matter what the cause any noxious fumes going below should trigger an alarm so that the appropriate action could be taken. if as is assumed a cell or camera was the cause, it may have been inside the sleeping area and had a independent charge (like the ones you can get at Walmart or Pharmacy's) The crew would have no idea that a fire was taking place and by this time everyone in the sleeping area had been rendered unconscious. As for not being able to sleep on board prior to diving a local B&B in association with the dive company may be the answer.

Your point is well taken, and I wouldn’t know or understand wood construction if it bit me. My point is that you could build a wood boat within the rules if you had the desire. I am not a fan of steel only because I understand the dive boat industry, and watched the Nekton boats waste away through neglect or ignorance. I’m a big aluminum boat fan, which can also be problematic through neglect or ignorance.
Glassed over plywood is a complete nightmare, worst long term material/system I’ve ever witnessed. Dry rot, stench, evil disgusting black mold, woodtrolosys at every bronze fitted through hull, soft spots everywhere, sends the hydro meter needle slamming the max peg so hard it bends it (above the water line) below the water line everything's cherry.
Even the old solid wood heavy planked fishing boats of the teens through the 40’s are better, provided they weren’t glassed over or painted with something catalyzed that doesn’t breathe.
I can guarantee you I could find hidden dry rot on ANY of the Socal plywood fleet. I was laying in my bunk once on one of those boats (name withheld) and there was a trickle of water coming down the hull side inside and pooling up on one of the exposed laterals. I had to move my sleeping bag away from the hull side so it wouldn’t get soaked. That was fresh water leaking through somewhere on a deck edge or crack on the glass skin above.
A three week haul out in the middle of winter isn’t going to cut it to find all that stuff, dry it out, and repair it properly. Fresh water intrusion is the ultimate enemy when it comes to plywood boats.

It just occured to me that in MD (or at least in Montgomery County where we'd lived for awhile) the law forbade using basements as bedrooms unless there was an exit from the basement. That is, not a stairway up to the next level but an exit outside from the house. Applying the same rule to the LOBs, Conception clearly posed a safety risk. So, instead of rushing some questional changes of the "zero tolerance to lithium" kind, why not start with safety basics?
Thank you!

Instead of talking about sprinklers, chain saws, special climate controlled metal boxes for charging batteries, why don’t we start with that.

The previous writers are correct about Coastguard regulations covering a charter vessel with over 6 people on board overnight. An Anchor watch is mandated as is 2 separate egress points, fire and smoke/ CO2 detection as well as electrical and non electrical fire suppressants.
No matter what the cause any noxious fumes going below should trigger an alarm so that the appropriate action could be taken. if as is assumed a cell or camera was the cause, it may have been inside the sleeping area and had a independent charge (like the ones you can get at Walmart or Pharmacy's) The crew would have no idea that a fire was taking place and by this time everyone in the sleeping area had been rendered unconscious. As for not being able to sleep on board prior to diving a local B&B in association with the dive company may be the answer.
I’ll just get a campsite 20 mins north in Gaviota the night before. Barbecue and hang out around a fire then crash out in the bed of my truck.

Back
Top Bottom