Anchored boat story 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
temporarily removed - found - and restored:

For our next story we step back in time to the early SOB days. {SOB stands for Same Ocean Buddies or Short of Breath. Take your pick.}

We had
anchored on a boulder patch. The danforth was modest but the rest of the ground tackle was truly excessive for the 25 foot dive boat…25’of 3/8” and ¾” nylon braided rode. Needless to say… the anchor itself never saw a day of honest work with that much weight in chain.

Surface chop and current were modest as well and we intended to each kill our limit of fish, as far apart from one another as possible.

Such was the competitive nature of our diving at the time. We were of course well equipped to dive without a buddy near by… we had Spare Air!

My *buddy’s* Spare Air was an older model with a thumb wheel that he needed to turn on to get air…. I however had the latest in diver safety: my Spare Air had a little lever that only needed to be flipped up to instantly provide air to spare.

Having splashed in at about the same time we immediately parted company and went about the business of spearing the biggest, the best and the most.

Having much better air consumption than my *buddy* I knew that the task of relieving the anchor from the boulders would fall to me since he would be back on the
boat by then.

As the SPG ran down to 500 psi I headed back toward the anchor line and fortunately found it rather quickly given the limited viz.

Just then I saw the biggest~n~best… and had to add it to my stringer. The stringing took longer that the spearing as the biggest~n~best was not cooperating. Evidentially it did not realize that a paralyzer tip in the brain was supposed to produce compliance.

Down to 300 psi now but in possession of the trophies to prove my prowess I proceeded to the task at hand.

The boulder pile was rather large and had 25’ of 3/8” chain draped across it. No good just moving the anchor… the chain was the issue and it needed to be moved out into the sand clear of entanglement… up current/up wind… which of course meant across the largest portion of the boulder pile.

So I set about moving, untangling, dragging, hauling & hoisting all this chain up and over the boulder pile while huffing, puffing, moaning and groaning until I had it all just about clear… and suddenly it was like sucking air through a straw… a small straw… one of those coffee stirrer straws.

Well I only had a few more feet to go. And it was only 70 feet deep. And we didn’t have any more tanks on board. And I wasn’t about to cut my beautiful ¾” nylon braid and leave my chain lying on the bottom. And I did, after all, have SPARE AIR!

This assessment took only micro-seconds… and so armed with the reassurance that comes from not having drowned before I proceeded to hump the last bit of chain off the boulder pile while sucking as hard as I could to pull a vacuum on my AL80.

One final heave and the chain was clear and the Spare Air was retrieved. I took the now useless regulator out of my mouth, flipped the little lever on the Spare Air and…

Nothing happened.

No air… nada… zip… zilch… nothing… flip flip flip …OK... I haven’t had a breath for a while now… I’ve been working hard and the Spare Air doesn’t have any spare air.

Only one thing to do... no, not release the weight belt... I wasn't about to leave 40# of good lead behind... I swam as hard as I could straight up.

Obviously I was able to make an ESA but confess that I did not blow out tiny bubbles on the way up… I didn’t have any to blow. Fortunately I did try my regulator again and was able to squeak a tiny bit o air off of it at about 30fsw… that was enough to get me the rest of the way.

Moral: sometimes you can have too much chain and too little air.

So… I downsized in the chain department… got rid of the spare death… and decided not to cut things quite so close in the future.

Hey... do you suppose Spare Air would use my story in one of their advertisements??

Last edited:
It does seem unlikely. :)

I can't believe you're even around to post here!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Hey... do you suppose Spare Air would use my story in one of their advertisements??

Sorry UP but it's not the fault of the spare air...anyone foolish enough to suck the tank dry...well....I guess you know the rest...what were you thinking???

I admit I don't know anything about anchoring a boat. But is this chugging the anchor around underwater a diver thing?

With all these wonderful (after the happy ending), hair raising stories, and considering they seem to continue, as the one with DD is not that old from what I gather. I just have to ask UP, what is this fixation with you and anchors? Have you noticed it becomes an obsession when diving?

I think a lot of people here want to see you continue to blow bubbles and stories, so - Keep Your Hands Off That Freaking Anchor. :D

Take Care

...........I assume you have your will already filled out ?

...seriously though, I won't preach a sermon here........you're a consenting adult and were aware of what you were doing at that time.

.......I guess you've learned from that episode though?

......if you were a 'cat'...I'd venture a guess that that day you spent all your 9 lives though.......nobody is that lucky twice in a row!

..this story was nearly at the opposite end of the timeline from story 3 so I was also at the experimental stage of the learning curve.

As for running a tank dry... yes that is bad... as for spare air... that is supposedly what they are for: OOA situations. You don't really need them if you have air in the tank on your back.

As to why the Spare Air wouldn't work... never did figure that one out... it was full and I was able to get it to work on the surface later.

As for Anchors... now I dooooo love my anchors :D and I have learned a little about anchors and anchoring since story 4.

On Uncle Pug (the boat) we carry a *found* danforth with chain and rode but never use it... it is just safety ground tackle. We always use the grapple without chain now and hand set at the beginning of the dive. On my other boat I have three different types of anchors for different conditions backed up with 60' of chain and 600' of 3/4" braid. I also carry spare chain and rode in the stern. Did I mention that I really like anchoring :D We've spent the night anchored in >100 fsw and we've weathered blows without pulling out. One night while waiting to get through Seymour Narrows we were anchored in what turned out to be a gyre that dug the Bruce in so deep it took two cups of coffee to get it back!

Now I admit the adventure with DD was fairly recent... but we really were in no danger during that one... it just seemed rather exciting is all. If necessary the grapple along with the rode would be tied off to a bouy and left for later retrieval... and if someone else retrieved it... why we would just make another.

Besides I have so many anchors in my garage I'm having a hard time finding room more for scuba tanks... :D

Great reading, UP! Too bad Skin Diver is defunct, or these stories would have been shoo-ins for the final page! I heard a funny but true one about a boat anchored with a rope securely tied to...a crate in the boat. When the divers found their anchor & strangely slack line, they realized that the anchor had faithfully held the crate in place while the current moved the boat to a destination unknown. they spent the night on some rocks & swam a distance in the morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom