Analog Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juris Diver

Registered
Reaction score
I just ordered a Cobra, but I think I'm going to cancel it and go with an analog depth, air, and compass console and wrist-mounted non-air integrated comp instead. I'm thinking that going with analog gauges and maybe the Vytec wrist unit would give me everything the Cobra has to offer and more flexibility/safety. I would get my dive info primarily from analog gauges ("air pushing a needle") and use the computer to get more out of my dives. Isn't that the way it is supposed to work?

What model/manufacturer of analog gauges would you recommend? Second, would you recommend using a Vytec as a wrist mount?

Thanks!

:wink:

Well that's exactly what I use... A Vytec on the wrist and an analog depth/air/compass console.

Suunto makes good analog stuff.... I bought the Dacor Enduro console (got a really good deal)... I use both on EVERY dive... the analog is a backup and safety measure. I check it usually twice on every dive to see how close they measure up to the Vytec.

It's a good combo as both are pretty much spot on with eachother.

Good Luck :D

If you've used a SUUNTO computer before you will LOVE the VYTEC.

OMS and Dive-Rite (same manufacturer, different "logo" shown) offer one of the most solid SPG's that I've come across.

I've removed my Sherwood SPG out of it's boot and it really looks like a very "flimsy" device. But when you look at the OMS and D-R, they are very solidly built.

The other plus of the OMS/D-R SPG's is that they are measured in 100 psi increments (many others are in 250 psi) which makes figuring out what you have left, and recomputing your "thirds", much simpler.

Originally posted by wheezy
I check it usually twice on every dive to see how close they measure up to the Vytec.

It's a good combo as both are pretty much spot on with eachother.

Good Luck :D
I check my SPG against my brain and they are usually spot on... pretty good SPG!

I check my Stinger against my brain too but sometimes it gets the depth wrong.... :wink:

Just kidding... it knows the depth better than me...
But usually we agree...

Luck?? :rolleyes:

It seems solid enough and works fine...$63 from leisurepro...

Juris,

IMO the only advantage of a Vytec over a Cobra is its multiple gas capability. If your not going to use multiple gasses save the money! Are you creating a solution that is less manageable than the original problem?

Upon what do you base your assumption that analog gauges are safer than a Cobra Computer? I would be interested to know if you have any statistical evidence to support this. For instance do DAN’s injury reports indicate a higher contribution to injuries by computers than analog gauges? Any fair statistical failure should compare the failure rate of a Cobra to the combined failure rates of a SPG, depth gauge, and bottom timer.

In any case, based on my experience with Mean Time To Failure (MTTF) analysis (of electronics systems not SCUBA), I would suspect that the failure rate of a Vytec using wireless transmission is higher than that of a Cobra simply because there is more that can go wrong.

My admittedly inexperienced advice, unless you need\want multiple gas capability, keep the Cobra, you’ll like it.

Good Luck,
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom