An Open Letter of Personal Perspective to the Diving Industry by NetDoc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for Dr. Sawatzy it is in his report, he charges $250 a hour usd.
It's probably the one thing he got absolutely right.

Storker, I'm sure he's the best money can buy. There's a lot of money being made in this law suit. I don't know what these guys charge an hour, but I bet it's top dollar. I don't think I could ever be an expert witness and charge for it. It's reasonable to cover expenses, but that's about it.

Pete, go out and get a medical degree. Follow that up with a doctorate (or two), then publish multiple papers, attend and speak at countless conferences and charge no fees for your work. Lawyers will be lining up for your services. You will have a much easier time answering the absurd "are you being paid professionally for your services today Doctor? Is it true that you no longer have a practice"? etc etc. Someone has to do it.

Is this board being run strictly as a labor of love? Why not do this for free too? (Yeah, it probably feels like it).

1. I thought that his report was obviously manufactured as per the lawyer's requirements and should easily be picked apart by an expert on the other side - (also being paid mega bucks).

2. My buddy is a plaintiff's attorney and he edits his 'expert' doctor's reports until it looks exactly the way that they need to look. I would not be surprised if that did not happen here.

So, you disagreed with me to point out that I was right? OK.

No, I was trying to politely disagree with you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

So, you disagreed with me to point out that I was right? OK.

No, I was trying to politely disagree with you.

Pete, what he was saying is that although there is a specific circumstance in which the 1:1 ratio is required, it is not required in all such circumstances. You have to read the wording carefully.

Pete, what he was saying is that although there is a specific circumstance in which the 1:1 ratio is required, it is not required in all such circumstances. You have to read the wording carefully.
I get it, I think, but correct me if I am wrong. The 1:1 is for drills in open water when pool/confined water in not available. There were no pool drills and the "confined water" drills weren't really done either because the conditions were not pool-like quality. Rather than then doing the 1:1 drills in open water, the instructor took the participants straight to the DSD open water experience which has a maximum ratio of 4:1, reduced to what the instructor needs to manage the dive. Essentially, Tursiops is saying that there is no requirement for 1:1 on the experience portion of the DSD if you have skipped all the required drills in their appropriate setting. That's true.

I get it, I think, but correct me if I am wrong. The 1:1 is for drills in open water when pool/confined water in not available. There were no pool drills and the "confined water" drills weren't really done either because the conditions were not pool-like quality. Rather than then doing the 1:1 drills in open water, the instructor took the participants straight to the DSD open water experience which has a maximum ratio of 4:1, reduced to what the instructor needs to manage the dive. Essentially, Tursiops is saying that there is no requirement for 1:1 on the experience portion of the DSD if you have skipped all the required drills in their appropriate setting. That's true.

Again, not quite. The 1:1 is only applicable in the case of no confined water being available, in which case you can do 1:1 skills on a line, in deep water but at less than 6 ft down on the line. There is NO situation in a which you can skip the required skills.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That is what I thought even if it is not what I conveyed in writing. I'm not sure that we disagree.

The idea that the lake has a higher than normal salinity

Not being able to find the specific gravity of the water doesn't mean there's not a lot of other information that may reconcile the claimed facts with the experience of others who are familiar with the lake. Using Google maps to measure a bunch of straight line segments along a meandering river, Bear Lake looks to be a minimum of 160 miles upstream from Great Salt Lake. Between the point at which water flows out of the lake and reaches Great Salt Lake it flows past "Soda Springs" and "Maple Grove Hot Springs", and is joined by several other streams and rivers. The watershed at the Bear Lake outflow is a bit under 3500 square miles; shortly upstream of Great Salt Lake it's a bit over 7000. Checking data from USGS streamflow gauges wasn't helpful for comparing actual discharge volumes, probably as a result of the reservoirs and other factors.

I freely admit that I'm only guessing, but there's a good chance that the water flowing out of Bear Lake at any given moment accounts for well under 50% of the water flowing into Great Salt Lake from Bear River, and that the physical properties of water at the two locations could be very different. Of course it's also possible that the intervening distance doesn't increase the density of the water.

"There are lies, damned lies and statistics!" You can bend them to say just about anything you want. ...
The standards are indeed impossible for an incompetent, distracted or uncaring instructor to follow.
You can also bend the truth through the choice of words. The instructor clearly made mistakes, but I'm seeing a lot of words that may not be fair descriptions of his actions, or at least his intent. Case in point:

the instructor abandoned him at depth.
That and "uncaring" are great for inflaming the jury, but seem extremely unlikely to accurately reflect the instructor's intent. Just because he screwed up big time doesn't mean it wasn't just the result of mistakes and errors in judgment.

If it were only made of air, then sure, it would have %20 more buoyancy.
Small nit, but as divers we're supposed to understand the inverse relationship between pressure and volume. Reducing pressure to 4/5 would result in volume increasing to 5/4, which is a 25% increase.

why he would sink from just below the surface yet the body was found "floating" with only the fin tips touching the bottom. I would have expected the change from .8 ATM to about 1.3 ATM to have caused enough compression to become quite negative.
It's definitely hard to reconcile slightly negative at 1.3 ATA with anything close to neutral at .8ATA, particularly since the other boy indicates that he appeared to be unconscious (or at least unresponsive). That would seem to preclude the possibility that he added air while descending, but that descent should have resulted in a significant loss of buoyancy through wetsuit compression even if the BC was already empty. About the only thing I can imagine (or wildly speculate) as an explanation would be that the increased pressure at depth might have increased arterial ppO2 enough for a brief period of consciousness during which he added air.

Having been there, the water in Bear Lake is not salty, it is fresh water. The fact that water runs into the Great Salt Lake means little to nothing. I don't have any "proven" details but the claim the density of the water is greater than seawater is just not true, in fact I would highly doubt it is even a smidgen over the SG of fresh water at 1.0. Of course if you stir up a bunch of solids it might be a bit over fresh water. Keep in mind that the density would include dissolved and undissolved solids. Still, I call BS on the report that says the water is more dense than seawater, let alone the density of the water in the Great Salt Lake, in fact I call that a flat out lie.

Storker, I'm sure he's the best money can buy.

I guess that depends on how one defines "best".

Since this is a central document in an ongoing lawsuit, I think I'll refrain from giving my opinion about it in public. And I've refereed a few manuscripts for scientific journals.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Back
Top Bottom