An Introduction to DIR article

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have added the links, added a bit about the cave diving history and added a link to this forum...

Mike

Mike, I liked your article for being what it purports to be -- a succinct introduction to "DIR." The problem I have with your article is the "problem" I have with the concept of "DIR" -- that is, no one (or perhaps just one) can actually define what is "DIR."

As one of your comments
I believe in the first few sentences I said it is more than gear. However, try getting into a DIR class without it![/url] makes clear, you equate "DIR" with "GUE." I know there exist some people who disagree with that equation.

I took, what I believe to be, a "DIR" class without changing my gear -- no can light, no BP/W, using air integrated computer, etc. Of course it was NOT a GUE class!

I don't know, I guess I'll leave it to those further down the path to comment on whether you can be using DIR without using a DIR configuration. The configuration is based on the safety aspects of the gear and how you relate to the other team members with it, if you aren't configured properly then you can't relate to the other members efficiently is how I make it out, but then I didn't stay at a Holiday Express last night...

Really, "Hogarthian" seems to be a term most useful to those who already understand DIR and don't want anything to do with it. If you're trying to explain DIR for newer divers bringing up "Hogarthian" is going to be mostly a distraction.

"Really, "Hogarthian" seems to be a term most useful to those who already understand DIR and don't want anything to do with it."

Can you explain this a bit more? Not sure I understand your comment.

Mike

mikerault:
"Really, "Hogarthian" seems to be a term most useful to those who already understand DIR and don't want anything to do with it."

Can you explain this a bit more? Not sure I understand your comment.

Mike

For the relatively new diver approaching DIR/Hogarthian for the first time the distinctions aren't terribly important. Its interesting as a bit of background history, but the downsides are that it invites nitpicking over what exactly is DIR vs. Hogarthian which you can find numerous threads on here on scubaboard which don't really result in the issue ever being entirely settled. I'd stick with describing what DIR is, mention "Hogarthian" as part of the history of DIR, and then link to another webpage that went into Hogarthian philosophy/equipment/DIR-vs-Hogarthian, etc.

YMMV.

amascuba:
I have my Inet DIR card right here!

That's priceless! :D

I need to go u pdate my User CP dive history :eyebrow:

lamont:
For the relatively new diver approaching DIR/Hogarthian for the first time the distinctions aren't terribly important. Its interesting as a bit of background history, but the downsides are that it invites nitpicking over what exactly is DIR vs. Hogarthian which you can find numerous threads on here on scubaboard which don't really result in the issue ever being entirely settled. I'd stick with describing what DIR is, mention "Hogarthian" as part of the history of DIR, and then link to another webpage that went into Hogarthian philosophy/equipment/DIR-vs-Hogarthian, etc.

YMMV.

A very good suggestion, about the link. IMHO, simply understanding that the terms (DIR, 'Hogarthian') are not synonymous might have value for the new diver, and beyond that referring them to more detailed descriptions is helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom