An interesting fact about lead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Something the average diver probably doesn't know is that when you submerge you actually strap a piece of a supernova to your waist.

The lead weights.

During the main burning phase of a star it spends most of its life fusing hydrogen into helium. However, when it starts to age the hydrogen starts to run out and the force of gravity starts causing it to fuse heavier elements. Helium, then lithium and all the way through the periodic table up to iron. Some (for humans) pretty important stuff gets created like this, like oxygen and carbon.

However, iron doesn't release additional energy when it fuses so the process stops there and the star collapses and creates a supernova (at least if it's big enough it will).

In those few seconds during the collapse, atoms are crushed together with such astounding force that all of the other elements heavier than iron are created.

Including lead.

So the next time you go diving, take some time to think about that. We're all literally made of star dust and on your weight belt you carry with you on every dive a sliver of a supernova.

R..

So the next time you go diving, take some time to think about that. We're all literally made of star dust and on your weight belt you carry with you on every dive a sliver of a supernova.

That can't be true! Bible says God created everything, not some supernova!

Bible says God created everything, not some supernova!
Where does it say He didn't use a Supernova to do the creation?

god created man then man created Diving and lived happily ever after:D

I thought it was turtles all the way down...

Yes! That story is one of my favorite quotes!

From Wikipaedia:

The most widely known version appears in Stephen Hawking's 1988 book A Brief History of Time, which starts:

A well-known scientist (some say it was Bertrand Russell) once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the center of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy. At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: "What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise." The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, "What is the tortoise standing on?" "You're very clever, young man, very clever", said the old lady. "But it's turtles all the way down!"[1]
The origins of the turtle story are uncertain.

Where does it say He didn't use a Supernova to do the creation?

I was being sarcastic! Should have put an icon of some sort I just didn't know which one :)

/me doesn't believe in myths

Back
Top Bottom