An argument for always having a snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You seem to be telling people a little bit of plastic is not needed. It is a safety thing the some agency require for cert because they feel it is a safety equip. To me it seems like you are the one pushing people to dive without the gear they may need. And when they get into trouble it not me that push not have the gear they need. Get the facts straight please.

Actually im pushing people to dive without taking gear they dont need that could be dangerous. Snorkels at best aren't needed and have caused incidents when fitted to mask.
My facts are very straight.

If you are exiting with 6’ breakers, front, back or otherwise, even two snorkels won’t help much.

A 6" tube isnt going to help you any time the swell and wave height is over 6".

Snorkels are standard gear for military rescue swimmers, let's all do the math. It's a survival tool.

Yes - for people who do not have scuba attached to them. As i said, snorkels are very useful tools if you decide to go snorkelling. This thread is about SCUBA though which is completely different.

Sometimes the chop gets pretty bad, and with some wind it can get whipped up and blow alot of water in your face. Breathing through the snorkle under those conditions can keep alot of water out of your mouth.

But not as much as a reg. Plus if theres a lot of spray that pointless little tube is just going to take on water anyway.

tell a coast guard rescue swimmer that a 6" tube does not help in rough sea's

Rescue swimmers don't have any choice or SCUBA gear.

Actually im pushing people to dive without taking gear they dont need that could be dangerous. Snorkels at best aren't needed and have caused incidents when fitted to mask.
My facts are very straight.

You should not push people to do anything out of their comfort zone. If people feel better diving with certain equipment, there is really nothing wrong with it. To push other to do thing that you feel is dangerous is being a soup box preacher. You should explain how to proper use that equipment. That is what an good instructor does and let the person decide what works best for them.

Rescue swimmers don't have any choice or SCUBA gear.

You missed the point, he said a snorkel is useless in 6ft waves. I just pointing out the rescue swimmers go out in 10-20ft wave with a snorkel and it fine works for them.

Yes - for people who do not have scuba attached to them. As i said, snorkels are very useful tools if you decide to go snorkelling. This thread is about SCUBA though which is completely different.

This tread was about have low air and having to do a long surface swim, and how a snorkel would have help allot in this saturation.

You are the one pushing about not bring equipment because you think it is not necessary, as you stated earlier.

You then try to tell me that I should uses my emergency reserve for a long wait or surface swim and that having a snorkel is useless in rough seas. It is my emergency reserve, I should do with it as I see fit. And a long swim 500psi will not last too long at all.

To me it seems alike allot of babel from you whenever someone tries to point out that there is nothing wrong with having a snorkel with your scuba gear.

Like saying that a snorkel is useless in anything about 5ft waves. Then you try to defend your point with nonsense, the fact is a snorkel with proper training will be very useful in up to 20ft seas, as the coast guard and navy rescue swimmer proves every single time to go out in bad weather.

I did not say that you are wrong for not using a snorkel, I just agreed with the OP that a snorkel would have made his swim easier. I am not the one trying to push his personal preference onto everyone.

If you are a good instructor, I hope you show your students the right way to use their equipment. And let them choice what they feel the want and feel safe to have on their dive rigs. The key is that they need to feel safe and comfortable to truly be relax and enjoy scuba.

But not as much as a reg. Plus if theres a lot of spray that pointless little tube is just going to take on water anyway.

When your tanks are empty, String my dear chap, then your reg will do you no good.

At that point, if you are in really serious trouble, and alone, you may very likely need to ditch your tank and regs.

At which point you will then be a "snorkeler" and if you are indeed without the tube, because you did not bring it, you will be very hard pressed. You will then be doing a lot of breathholding, as you look down to see what is coming up to nibble on you, and you will certainly wish you had your snorkel with you, and further regret that you had given bad advice on ScubaBoard.:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom