Amybe moving to Atlanta area...Where do y'all dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, Dive Haven quarry, about 45 minutes north of Atlanta. Also Alabama Bluewater quarry is 2 hrs or less away, or you could go to our favorite pond, Lake Lanier. But it ain't pretty :D

There is also an excellent quarry north of Atlanta up I-75 in Athens, TN . . . Loch-Low-Minn.

It's about a 2-1/2 drive.

Check it out on-line at Loch-Low-Minn.com

the K

If your going to be in the south part of town. You are only 4 hours or less to some very good diving around Panama City Florida. Both fresh and salt water. And if you been diving in Oklahoma you will love our Lake Lanier the mud is not near as thick.

Thanks for the replies. Been to Panama City 3 or 4 times and enjoyed it. Not all the lakes in Okla are mud. We have 1 or 2 actually have 10 to 15 feet vis.
Is there good diving over on the Atlantic coast?

Yeah, but you pretty much have to head up to North Carolina or down to the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area.

Jethroish:
Is there good diving over on the Atlantic coast?
There are a couple of artificial reefs off the Georgia coast, and then there is Gray's Reef National Marine Sanctuary. Unfortunately, the Georgia coastline is a little too far from the Gulfstream (the major Atlanta current that affects diving on the Southeast US coast), so we don't get the kinds of conditions that you see in S Florida or the Carolinas. Coastal diving in Georgia tends to be seasonal, and you have to go pretty far off-shore to get good conditions.

As a previous poster mentioned, most of the best diving in Georgia is actually in Florida :D, unless you like the lakes and quarries (which tend to be an "acquired taste" for most folks).

The good news is that Atlanta airport is right nearby, and within a few hours you can be diving almost anywhere in the Caribbean. There are numerous options for direct flights to the Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Bonaire, etc. Many airlines run daily flights to some of these locations. You can usually find some pretty good airfare deals if you watch the on-line specials.

Where in Okla are you from? I moved to Savannah from OKC about 2 years ago. Got certified in Lake Tenkiller and dove Lake Murray a few times as well as a few private quarries in the Arbuckles.

Your also only a few hours from some of the Fl Springs. From Peachtree City probably about 4 hrs. I'm in Atlanta once a month for meetings and I pass the Springs on my way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom