Americans targeted at Owens Airport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a bunch of nonsense over a single bullet. It amazes me how scared the vast majority of this world is conditioned to be over the simplest, most harmless things. A single bullet is useless - unless it's in the hands of MacGyver or James Bond who can construct a firing pin and a barrel out of a paper clip and some toilet paper. And to classify a bullet as a firearm is an absolute asinine policy. But, I guess that's what liberalism from the UK will get you - nonsensical laws and over-reactive policy.
How does the UK homicide rate compare to that in Texas?

And what does that have to do with the danger that a SINGLE BULLET presents?

Other countries and cultures control access to guns and ammunition as one of their methods to control gun violence. No matter what side of the issue you come down on in this country, given the amount of gun violence in our society, calling another countries laws and attitudes over-reactive and asinine is just...silly (for lack of a more asinine word) IMHO. What they do in their country is theirs to do. Their boat, their rules.

Seems you can't go anywhere anymore without having to put up with politics...

That sort of debate is better left to Facebook.

Seems you can't go anywhere anymore without having to put up with politics...That sort of debate is better left to Facebook.
True. I will just say that when I visit my friends in Texas I am happy to abide by the laws and customs of that State. And I trust that, when they come here, they will respect our own laws and customs.

It occurs to me that we (the colonists) do have England to thank for our 2nd amendment and the rest of our Bill of Rights.

According to this site (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate), the European UK rate listed was 1.0 per 100,000, the Cayman Islands rate was 14.7 per 100,000, and the US rate was 4.7 per 100,000. The Texas rate from here (Page not found | Death Penalty Information Center) was 4.3 per 100,000. So I don't think you can make any solid inference whatsoever about whether gun control in the UK or the Cayman Islands leads to a lower murder rate or not. The Cayman Islands rate is 3 times the US rate and 14 times the European UK rate. Demographics, socioeconomics, and other concerns have a much higher impact than availability of a specific weapon type.

I think the point that was trying to be made wasn't that the Cayman Islands should ignore their laws in deference to foreigners. I think the point was that a single bullet of ammunition is not a threat in the absence of something to fire it with, and in absence of evidence that the carrier was attempting to smuggle it in for nefarious purposes, it is logical to assume it is a mistake. The government officials in those cases might want to consider a punishment that will make them remember to check their bag better next time (or not be a bone head and travel using your range bag). Instances where people show up at the airport with a gun in their bag are much more serious, as are cases where somebody arrives with a box or two of rounds...which might indicate potential for smuggling to a black market. One round in the bag of somebody leaving the island is evidence they are an idiot who made a mistake and should be punished...but it should be punished for what it is, stupidity, not evil intent.

I think the point was that a single bullet of ammunition is not a threat in the absence of something to fire it with, and in absence of evidence that the carrier was attempting to smuggle it in for nefarious purposes, it is logical to assume it is a mistake. The government officials in those cases might want to consider a punishment that will make them remember to check their bag better next time (or not be a bone head and travel using your range bag). Instances where people show up at the airport with a gun in their bag are much more serious, as are cases where somebody arrives with a box or two of rounds...which might indicate potential for smuggling to a black market. One round in the bag of somebody leaving the island is evidence they are an idiot who made a mistake and should be punished...but it should be punished for what it is, stupidity, not evil intent.
I agree with all that, but it's a point that doesn't really need to be made; that is how the Cayman judges have always treated these cases. People are fined, but not jailed.

According to this site (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate), the European UK rate listed was 1.0 per 100,000, the Cayman Islands rate was 14.7 per 100,000, and the US rate was 4.7 per 100,000. The Texas rate from here (Page not found | Death Penalty Information Center) was 4.3 per 100,000. So I don't think you can make any solid inference whatsoever about whether gun control in the UK or the Cayman Islands leads to a lower murder rate or not. The Cayman Islands rate is 3 times the US rate and 14 times the European UK rate. Demographics, socioeconomics, and other concerns have a much higher impact than availability of a specific weapon type.

I think the point that was trying to be made wasn't that the Cayman Islands should ignore their laws in deference to foreigners. I think the point was that a single bullet of ammunition is not a threat in the absence of something to fire it with, and in absence of evidence that the carrier was attempting to smuggle it in for nefarious purposes, it is logical to assume it is a mistake. The government officials in those cases might want to consider a punishment that will make them remember to check their bag better next time (or not be a bone head and travel using your range bag). Instances where people show up at the airport with a gun in their bag are much more serious, as are cases where somebody arrives with a box or two of rounds...which might indicate potential for smuggling to a black market. One round in the bag of somebody leaving the island is evidence they are an idiot who made a mistake and should be punished...but it should be punished for what it is, stupidity, not evil intent.

This is probably a more relevant comparison (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate).

UK = 0.26 per 100,000
US = 10.64 per 100,000

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom