Americans targeted at Owens Airport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They suggested several individuals that had access to their luggage: at the hotel, the cab ride, the porter at the airport, a stranger standing in line behind you, the list went on.
I don't get it so far: why would a hotel employee, a cabbie, a porter, a "stranger standing in line behind you", want to plant a single round in your luggage? What do they gain from it?

If this were a single instance, I would be all over debunking the conspiracy theory. However, I have a hard time seeing where a bunch of American tourists independently left a single round of live ammunition in their luggage. I wouldn't say that the whole country is targeting Americans, I would say that someone figured out a way to shakedown Tourists who can and will pay to get out of a foreign jail.

When it happens in the U.S. - and it happens all the time here - do blame the TSA?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you believe that the Cayman Islands Government is shaking down random American tourists for $800 (the fine in the case in question), please take a step back and think about it for a minute. Tourism accounts for an estimated 70% of Cayman's GDP, the vast majority of that 70% comes from persons holding U.S. passports. The most recent stats I can find are for June of this year. In June 34,097 visitors flew into GCM. 28,163 of them held U.S. passports.

Would the CIG endanger that big a chunk of their economy to get $800 out of a 11 tourists? Could some unknown person be planting bullets in luggage somewhere along the line?, maybe. But that individual gains nothing from the transaction (the fine goes to the CIG, not any individual) and they are risking a mandatory ten year prison sentence for possession of the bullets if they get caught.

Last edited:
Again. No conspiracy theory. I do NOT believe the cayman government is conspiring to do this. In the In the U.S. When it does happen, people are caught with a complete firearm or a box of shells. And yes it happens a lot. Do you not think that all of these cases of a single round in tourists suitcases looks a bit odd?

If you believe that the Cayman Islands Government is shaking down random American tourists for $800 (the fine in the case in question), please take a step back and think about it for a minute. Tourism accounts for an estimated 70% of Cayman's GDP, the vast majority of that 70% comes from persons holding U.S. passports. Do you really think the CIG is going to endanger 70% of their economy to get $800 out of a 11 tourists? Could some unknown person be planting bullets in luggage somewhere along the line?, maybe. But that individual gains nothing from the transaction (the fine goes to the CIG, not any individual) and they are risking a mandatory ten year prison sentence for possession of the bullets if they get caught.

Think conspiracy. Could it be the Cozumel Tourist Bureau looking to drum up business.:eyebrow:

Maybe it isn't even happening. Maybe they (the CTB) are just planting internet rumors.:no:

Again. No conspiracy theory. I do NOT believe the cayman government is conspiring to do this. In the In the U.S. When it does happen, people are caught with a complete firearm or a box of shells. And yes it happens a lot. Do you not think that all of these cases of a single round in tourists suitcases looks a bit odd?
There have been 11 tourists arrested for firearms (bullets and guns are the same under the law) at GCM so far this year, not 11 arrests for a single bullet.

Ah. I see said the blind man. The original post made it sound like there were a bunch of tourists being arrested for a single round. That seemed odd to me.

I was right behind an older gentleman leaving Bonaire 2 years ago, and the same exact thing happened. He was questioned, admitted that it was his range bag, and was eventually allowed to board the flight. a single bullet is not that hard to get lost in the bottom of a range bag. Perhaps it would be better not to use that kind of bag as airplane luggage huh?

Uh, no. Single rounds get found all the time. They just don't make the news. Spend some time on the TSA blog.

---------- Post added September 8th, 2015 at 08:42 PM ----------

I was right behind an older gentleman leaving Bonaire 2 years ago, and the same exact thing happened. He was questioned, admitted that it was his range bag, and was eventually allowed to board the flight. a single bullet is not that hard to get lost in the bottom of a range bag. Perhaps it would be better not to use that kind of bag as airplane luggage huh?

IT WAS HIS RANGE BAG?!?

Wait, it's not a shakedown? He just screwed up?

My last trip through Owens was a total PITA. It was a busy Saturday afternoon. Flights had been delayed.

I had just finished a Cayman Aggressor trip. We left the boat and went to the airport. We hung around the counter to get our boarding passes. 4 people from our group were selected for extra special screening.

None of us were treated friendly, it was an awful experience. Aside from being crammed into cramped spaces with not nearly enough seating we were then subjected to being called into a small room one by one where our bags were dumped onto the table and everything was gone through. Every piece of clothing was unfolded and dumped onto the table. The people searching my bags were rude, nasty and anything but helpful.

While I find it difficult to think that the single bullet thing is true, please don't begin to tell me how wonderful and friendly and wonderful these people are. It makes me consider other destinations before returning to Grand Cayman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom